August 2006

August 2006

Postby Barry » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:04 am

not the best start to the month. I was certainly multitasking this week and stretched myself to the limit and went ping rather spectacularly in the middle. I seemed to be in a continual race to catch up and didn't really. Next week will be so much easier though, and hopefully I will have shaken off another bout of food poisoning that saw me with several nights of discomfort and strange hallucinations; with Superman mixed up with Morris Dancing, shots and characters from the series, the book, and music that won't go away. Once again I bore witness to the human body doing absolutely everything it can to get rid of something it didn't like inside. All the while little Inigo sat half an inch from me, gently extending a single paw. And don't you just love it when all your past mistakes and errors and failings invade your head at four in the morning, coming not as single spies but as whole battalions.
But I don't like being able to give my best, and some mistakes were made this week. A lot went right and it was a productive week, but I'm hoping for a much better week next week.
And Monica left Cossie Hall this week as an animator....I won't say retired as that would imply something about age, but she has been involved with that company way back to Wind in the Willows days. A lovely good solid reliable animator with a lot os tories to tell. We'll miss her.
Barry

August 11th 2006

Postby Barry » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:15 pm

A much better week, no less hard, but I got a better handle of things. After nine days of whatever food posioning and being throroughly flushed clean, I'm finally back to normal. Have no idea what that was all about, but it certainly did not help matters. Days off are not really practical jsut now.

A huge output with the series this week, and everyone in every department has steam coming out of them from working so hard....the results are showing. This is going to be a beautiful beautiful show that will charm everyone. Of course we are all wanting more time, as time would buy us so much more finesse and detail and interreaction, but that is the standard cry for an animator. We are so nearly finished one complete episode with all the trimmings, and a few galloping up closely behind. I can't believe how we have come in the eight months I have been involved. There have been some tricky moments, but there hasn't been a day when I've not reflected in bed that morning on the day ahead and found something exciting to look forward to. Hopefully most of the crew are still enjoying it. I can't wait to show them a finished show.

Interesting times at the studio, with one iconic show about to finish, and another champing at the bit ready to come in (what with the equine metaphors and similies today....I'll be talking about bolting the stable door next.)

I've tried to be as productive as I can with the book and then get all doubtful at my lack of intellect about the subject. This is not going to be about theories at all but sheer raw experience...and boy can I waffle for England. Nearly 40 pages so far....but oh that doesn't sound much. It's just pouring out at the moment, and I will have trouble focussing it, as I start talking about a certain puppet I have found I have drifted into an epistle about the important of a nice iris in the eye! Found myself going on about sexy cheese this week....a strange career indeed.
Barry

18th August 2006

Postby Barry » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:52 pm

Phew, I am certainly ready for the weekend. I'm not sure I could have crammed more into this week if I tried. On the TV series it has been a pretty monumental week, with me split in many directions. But we really are seeing the results of all this hard work, and it is hard work, as the first episode is so close to being all finished. And you know what, I am going to be very pleased to have my name on this show. Every department is buckling under the pressure, and I guess that is called series animation, but everyone still seems to be enjoying themselves and still seem to be giving so much. The editing and CG boys have transformed the rushes full of blue screen and rigs into something very very beautiful and charming. A lot of effort has been put into this first episode, but there are several more queueing up to get finsihed. When I ever get time to sit down and think about this job, I do love it. It's not without hiccups, but we all seem to get so much satisfaction froms omething I guess, so small. It's the idea of having created something from nothing I think. It's frequently not the case, but here, all this blood sweat and tears is proving to be worth it.
Alongside all this has been the book, and I think I've been writing absolutel rubbish, but amongst the rubbish are some real pearls of wsdom, of sorts.
And alongside the book, and filming, I'm heavily involved back at the Garrick, and got insanely excited this week as we started to build my set for Jekyll and Hyde, and we started by laying down the revolve. Why do I love a revolve so much? Such a simple, theatrical and utterly brillinat device, and I think for Jekyll, it will be very effective. Tonight we've built the main structure of the set and already people are getting excited. It will be a very different and totally unique take on the musical, and I don't think anyone else will ahve designed it like this. The trouble is I can so easily come up with interesting concepts but I'm such a lousy draftsman, and hopeless with technical drawings or models, though people seem to understand my attempts.
A busy week with very little contact with real life and other than a swim or two, nothing social. The bear is my life at the moment. Don't mind that at all.
Barry

Re: 18th August 2006

Postby Inigo » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:41 am

Barry wrote: The bear is my life at the moment. Don't mind that at all.

THE BEAR?
Inigo

August 26th 2006

Postby Barry » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:23 pm

Whoops sorry Inigo, but at least you are on my lap as I write this, and the bear is in a plastic box for the weekend.

Quite a week, where I really have pushed myself to the limit. Just when we need it, technology has not been our good companion this week, and has made a bit of a mess of things temporarily. Well it keeps us on our toes. I definitely think everyone has reached a bit of a barrier this week, but hopefully a long weekend will restore their spirits a bit. After three months of relentless pressure the crew have to dip a bit occasionally. Still the results are still darn good. A couple of blips this week but crikey, standing back and looking at the whole thing, it is all looking staggeringly beautiful and classy and rather epic.

As if my days were nto crammed enough, I have done three hours at the theatre every night, helping build and paint the set for Jekyll and Hyde, and with a week to go, it is certainly looking very striking and very different to anything that's been seen here for a while. I've enjoyed seeing every flat move into place. The crew seem impressed as well. The Garrick is such an amazing place, and yes we all do it for love and no money, but the crew have been their every night, all of them retired but still lugging heavy flats around. I get impatient at the lack of drive sometimes but the shows always make it on stage on time.

It's also been a frantic week for meeting with young aniamtors and students and various people wanting to puch their projects. If only it were that easy. I'm certainly no nearer to getting my own projects going than I was eight years ago with my last film, Gilbert and Sullivan.

Postman Pat delivered his last mail this week, and thhings will be very different at the studios without him. It's been a fantastic show with a good long run. I like the world that was created, as it had a good grounding, everyone had a history and a relationship, it was a well thought out world, with some lovely visuals. The sets were very beautiful and had some great textures that perhaps the puppets didn't quite live up to. There was a party this week, and crew shirts everywhere, bearing the witty logo, 'Pushing the envelope since 2002'. ho ho.
Barry

Return to Diary 2006