Animated day to day happenings

Postby Barry » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:08 am

January 8th 2017
Straight back to work at full speed, and with a few shifts around in the crew, freshening things up a bit. The new crew were straight in with some mammoth shots. They all seem to be mammoth shots at the moment - mammoth but satisfying when we achieve them.
I caught up with some good culture over Christmas - The Tempest just before, the Aladdin, then sweet Charity and, yesterday a RSC double bill of The Rover and Seven Acts of Mercy. I'm still on a high from them all and it saddens me that so many of my friends and colleagues don't get theatre and are not elated by it. To me it is an absolute essential to my nourishment, and now more than ever when it really is about the shared experience. For Seven acts I was about six inches from the actors. Now that is involving and makes you part of the experience, sharing the drama and the emotion and the craft. This is why I start to get disappointed with so many projections. The Tempest was being sold as a feast of technical wonders, and the future of theatre. I would be sad if it was. For all the spectacular design of Ariel as a huge harpy, it is still projected on a flat screen, and the actor at the side of the stage was far more interesting. For Seven Acts much of the plot concerned the painting of the Caravaggio painting, and we saw it bit by bit - again done my projection but it was murky and hard to make out. It might have worked from a few seats. I think film in theatre takes away what is so joyous about theatre - that it is there, now. Still, I had a joyous day in Stratford.....the RSC and their attitude is certainly something I aspire to. I really need to get working on a new project that needs lots of dissection, research, fresh perspectives, and discovery.
Barry

Re: 2017

Postby Barry » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:30 pm

January 15th 2017

A tough week on the series, working on some amazingly complex shots, but they were approved with much enthusiasm. Rushes never get any easier. It was terrifying in the days of film as we got them back without sound and with all the duff frames unedited. I remember on wind in the willows days that footage of toad would come back and a sudden twitch from him would be greeted by humiliating tuts. It was only when it was edited with the sound that Toad's twitch accompanied a cough or a splutter and made perfect sense. Now at least, we have sound and can take out duff frames, and we know what we are getting. But you are so exposed when you show work to other people.
Starting to gently panic that the series is coming to an end soon.
Barry

Postby Barry » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:25 pm

January 27th 2017

Two weeks since the last entry, probably due to being angrily distracted by the Trumpet of doom's activities. I'm still picking my jaw off the floor on several occasions every day. I'm sick to my stomach, and can't tear my burning eyes away from the news.
Shooting the series has been pretty full on with a week of long hours, which has been tiring, but we have been producing some truly astonishing footage. And after all these weeks we could forget just how astonishing the footage is. I've had several visits and met people, young and old, for whom animation is relatively unchartered territory, and they have been amazed. We forget. I did a talk for a lovely film society in Macclesfield, none of whom had seen my films. I had not seen them for at least six months, and you know what, my refreshed eyes were mightily pleased. I can watch them too often, but seeing a new audience gasping and being moved and shocked was hugely satisfying. Frustrating of course as I want to be making more such films, but satisfying that the short film can have such a powerful effect.
We've started rehearsals for Secret Garden at the theatre, and I feel a little removed as I am only designing, and again frustrated, as after a couple of weeks where I have met people for who art and detail and standards matter, sometimes at the theatre we deal with people who seem to resent that we have to put on plays. I'm sorry, it's what we do. I guess it is all about passion, and this week I think I have realised that though I am now 61, my passion is stronger than ever. I have still so much to contribute, and if I can't contribute, that will be the end of me. And my tolerance for those without passion is minimal.
I've just caught up with the series The Detectorists - how did I miss it, especially as it was all filmed where I went to school, and even in the school. I sort of shuddered to see some very familiar rooms. Oh those memories, mostly bad. But again with hindsight, and there's a lot of hindsight this week, being sent there was a darn good thing. I did not appreciate it at the time but now I wish I was able to thank Ma and Pa for sending me there, and for all the grief and sacrifices involved. Yes it was a good education, but I have no truck with people who say that they've not been educated like me....I was lucky, and I know a lot of useless things ( I know these things but maybe do not understand. I never understood how I could be a table! or Algerbra. ) Education does not stop when you leave school, but I think what my school did for me for to plant the thirst to learn things, to discover things, to tell things. to unlock the puzzles. That keeps going every day. Everyone can have that thirst. That's a choice.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:45 pm

February 11th 2017
the world continues to spiral into unbelievable directions - common sense and plain decency have been replaced with lies, greed and absolute corruption and is giving artists, impressionists, satirists the most perfect license to be outrageous. The spirit of Spitting Image is alive and well...never has there been such food for folly.
But in the world of Twirlies all is a suitably comforting escape. Only a few episodes to go now, and oh how we will miss them. Rushes at the end of the week still make us giggle. There world is one that it would be a joy to live in.
Definitely not sure what happens when they have finally flown away - a long stretch of unemployment sadly.
Barry

Return to Barry's Diaries