January 2009

January 2009

Postby Barry » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:33 pm

January 5th 2009

Well I acknowledged, no more than that, the midnight by lighting a huge sky lantern that floated up so silently and with such dignity, I was stupidly moved. And more lanterns were to come when I went over to Ireland to see Amanda and Peter, and once again these simple paper creations had an extraordinary effect. You can't help but get excited. I can feel I am going to be letting so many off, letting a ring a mile around my house gather full of decomposing paper. Ireland was fantastic, and does put everything in perspective. Usually the sight fo a single horse, or a single farmer, standing alone in a field does that. Much walking, much healthy eating and even an otter popped up on cue. We watched Mamma mia, and I got rather too emotional, especially with the scene mother and daughter getting her dressed for the wedding. we also watched Gods and Monsters, which is verging on becoming my favourite film, certainly in the top five. Could i have written anything with more resonances? But there are still two scenes involving Brendan Fraser that I just don't get - they seem to have no relevence at all. Still the joy of seeing 'Elsa Lancaster' so brilliantly realised....oh bliss.
Back home to freezing Manchester, and more or less a blank slate. Not quite, but animation doesn't figure too highly. I did turn down a workshop abroard I'm afraid, as there was no fee, and a lot of work invovled. This year I simply can't do that. I'm not sure I can even pay the bills this year.
Barry

Re: DIARY 2009

Postby Barry » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:36 pm

9th January 2009

I can't pretend that the year has got off to a good professional start. The premature and uncomfortable demise of the panto has rather affected the outlook so far, and I'm not sure how that will resolve itself yet. Such a shame about the panto as the audiences were enjoying it enormously. Maybe a panto in such a large theatre in a small town already with two other pantos was wrong from the start. But what ever happened, I will defend the show and the talent involved - everyone gave so much to it. I've seen many other pantos that could only be described as lazy and shoddy. This was neither.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:04 pm

January 17th 2009

Ok, this is a tough one. After 16 months without a substantial job, and jobs done as favours, jobs that involve travelling the length of the country for a job that won't pay those expenses, jobs that have paid a disproportionate fee for the work done, and jobs where the fee has disappeared due to the company going bust, I am not actually waving anymore, but am drowning.....and it is scary. The situation with the panto keeps getting worse, with more money not being paid, not just for me but for all of us. But this has really pushed me under for the first time in many years. And yet I am absurdly busy. The mathematics just do not add up. I'm working like crazy on the book, two set designs, a treatment, a few job applications, getting ready for a few weeks of bobbing the builder, helping a lot of students, and writing a few speculative ideas, but none of this will pay enough to stand still let alone pay the imminent tax bill. Ok so the current climate has a lot to be blamed for, and the arts are the first to go, but I didn't think at this stage of a half decent career, I would be struggling quite so much, or have so few prospects. But darn, I may be down, but bloody hell, I'm still enthusiastic about these things.

I did meet up with some of the cast of Aladdin for tea this week. Well we now all have a bond, having been so very scarred by the experience. Some good friendships have come out of this, but little else.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:06 pm

25th january 2009
A very tough week, and the realities of the financial situation is keeping me awake. But I've had it with watching the users, the conmen, the blaggers, the incompetent, the chancers and all those I seem to be surrounded by some of the time, making a mess of things for others, using them, and yet still rising to the top, floating to the top, and mixing metaphors, smelling of roses. In this industry there are just too many people who have got where they are through their sole talent of treading on others, and getting applauded for being at the top. So much flannel.
Enough said.
Barry

Return to Diary 2009