JULY 2009

JULY 2009

Postby Barry » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:39 pm

July Ist 2009

The scene, a piazza in Turin. A few minutes ago, it seemed like the hottest driest place on earth. Now, the heavens have opened, thunder is rattling the buildings, setting off every car alarm in the city, and winding up every dog. The lightning is turning night into day. In just a few minutes, the pavements have been submerged. Amazing, but oh it smells wonderful.

This was the end of the second day of my course at the film school. The weather is making beign stuck indoors with hot lights quite difficult but I think the students are enjoying it. I do find it frustrating not to have enough cameras for everyone, as it does mean there are students sat around doing nothing which I don't like. However i have structured things to minimise this as much as possible. I've followed my usual exercises to some extent, and as usual the students animate a few paces of a walk then do something silly in just a few frames. Boredom does set in quickly with repetitive actions. I can see it coming, and the silly bit of business is thrown away and never ever works. A moment of improvisation that is terrible. I'm sure i must have done it, but it does make me grumpy. Some of them have managed a really good walk, but others seem to forget about the torso which seems to have the shakes. However they are all working together and there's a good atmosphere. we are trying to make a short film based on an image of Perseus and Andromeda - the interpretations are going to be very interesting. Watch this space.

Did I ever think that Turin would have been the city outside of the UK that I have visited more than any other. I've not headed out really in the evenings as I have to say the concentration and the heat have done me in! A comfortable bed is enjoying my attention, and from it I have a great view of the storm over the mountains.

I'm still smiling from having been in the nearest presenceof Verdi I will get. How exciting to handle some original manuscripts and to meet a descendent.
Barry

Re: JULY 2009

Postby Barry » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:12 pm

July 3rd 2009

Oh well that's another birthday that has passed without much activity save for an explosion of messages on Facebook and at the school. I was in bed by 9.00 exhausted, but feeling the want of family and cake.

And that's also the end of my Italian trip, but what a week it has been. MIlan, Parma and Turin in six days, with the shadow of Verdi over all the proceedings. I even named our groups in the animation workshop Team Nabucco, Team Traviata, Team Aida, and Team Rigoletto.We've all found it hard working in the heat, and even though the films we made, based on the Perseus, Andromeda, monster triangle may have lacked some finesse, they didn't lack spirit or invention. And maybe finesse wasn't what they were about, but more about problem solving, and going through the whole peculiar process of stop motion. They were a good group, and i think they became aware of the whole new physical side tos top motion and the effort involved, and yes, the patience. I was clarity to be the important thing, letting everything read.

Some treats during the week, especially supper with Chiara in here wonderful house, gently sipping mandarin ice cream on her balcony, under her turret, as the sunset over the mountains. And her new grey tiger of a cat slowly succumbing to the Purves cat whispering. They just can't resist it!

And then there is the short film that seems to have taken a large leap forward. It's been in my head for fourteen years, that's a lot of life experience. Now it looks as if it might get made, I'm nervously excited.

Back home tomorrow, to move on with the musical, tidy up the book, get ready for a production at the garrick, write a few treaments and.......oh well it just goes on. What an odd year. It's never dull.
Barry

Postby Barry » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:16 pm

July 10th 2009
Was I really in Turin just a week ago, and with my birthday. One day i'll do something for my birthday, though last years' was lovely with Amanda and Peter in Ireland, and the ceilidh for my 50th was good, but generally it doesn't happen.
It’s been a packed week since then, mainly working on the musical, tidying up the book, and doing some stuff for the new project. The musical has certainly been interesting, and the first day of rehearsal in London not unlike the plot of the piece itself. It will be a great show, and we all laughed in the read through, but oh it is going to be an interesting ride getting there.I felt a little awkward showing my small inadequate cardboard model, but it did have to fit in my briefcase, much like the real set will have to fit in a van, but most of my effort this week has been concentrated in getting the real one built. In doing some research for a few gruesome images to put into the set I disturbed myself at some of the images all too easily accessible. However, the set I think will be quite impressive, especially for a fringe show. How odd to think that I have designed 7 theatre pieces in the last 18 months, and as it happens I haven't recieved a penny for any of them yet......this will will see some income though.
I’ve not managed to put much thought into the Garrick shows yet and other things are demanding my attention, but I’m feeling I am needing a bigger plate. There’s too much on this one.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:09 pm

saturday July 18th 2009

A week absolutely packed with so much - so much but absolutely nothing to do with animation - that's not good.
Two cultural events, and both were events actually. The opening performance of the Buxton opera house's beautiful Veronique, saying so much with an obviously tight budget and working beautifully, and then the third performance of Rufus Wainwright's opera Prima Donna, also beautiful but saying so little with so much. One had pace and wit and sheer glorious energy. The other didn't, but both were very interesting nights at the theatre, and at both the audience annoyed the hell out of me, but that, dear doctor, is probably my problem. Audiences are a necessary part of the creative process, but crikey I wish they were mostly there to see the show, not to parade or pontificate.

The musical has taken most of my own creative effort, and in this week we have gone from assembling the framework in the Garrick studio, painting it, sewing the drapes, applying the drapes, applying the photomontages, getting our head round the curtain tracks, then disassembling it and getting it down to the Bethnal green rehearsal rooms and erecting it there with the cast. The musical is not without its bumpy moments but is getting there slowly. The cast are spirited and watching the warm of the dancer Miguel, well I have never been able to do any of that to my body. Don't these dancers have bones and ligaments? The vocal warm up was just as gynmastic. But we are all putting this on with such a small budget, which is the nature of Ediburgh, so that's fine, but it is frustrating as my creaive juices are not just flowing, they are awash, and however much i trawl round the charity shops I jsut won't be able to be that inventive with what i have. Hopefully this may have a future more developed life. Michele and I spent several hours in the large Royal Exhange clothes storage wharehouse - i say clothes as these really weren't costumes as such, as their best costumes are in the hire department. But rows and rows and functional items. Very difficult to dress people when they are 200 miles away, and I was getting giddy with possibilities but frustrated again. Still we came away with some good clothes, but not enough to make this show have a dynamically distinct look, such as both Ben and I would like. We'll make the cast look great but this is not about design, but finding the best things we can depending of favours from others.

I'm still pootling with the book, making sure the photos are all credited and such. A complex job, but since i have finished the writing, I have nto so much run out of steam but been sidetracked elsewhere.

Before catching the train home yesterday I grabbed a meal with a film tutor friend from the states, and as we devoured our Chinese meal, our conversation ranged from the finer points of 'If....' through Sondheim to the missing scenes of Russell's 'The Boyfriend' and a lot more besides, yes a lot more. An exhilerating couple of hours before I collapsed exhausted.

A good productive week, but financially disastrous really. I dare say many can write that same sentence these days.
Barry

Postby Barry » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:04 pm

Friday July 24th 2009

Am typing this with fingers that are so sore and are literally pinpricked. I've just sewn about sixty foot of hems on the fabric curtains for the musical by hand. Not sure whether it's neat or not but it is done and that is the important thing. And such has been the week. Not sure how i have ended up sewing and trawling through charity jobs for a living - no that was too positive a statement. Actually this week has been the lowest I have sunk financially ever, and to say it's a worry is an understatement. It's simply disastrous, and yet i am busy, but the maths simply do not add up. So many bitty jobs that do not pay a practical wage unfortunately.

Still I've been down to london for the musical - no time to stay and play, more's the pity. certainly no time for any theatre, and no money. But the show is taking shape and putting my first backdrop up of the death playing the guitar looked quite impressive. It was a lot of work and I have so much more to do on that set, let alone the costumes and props. A huge undertaking that will literally work out at about 50p an hour. Most of my fee has gone on travelling and millie's Cookies. Have had enough of those.

And I was up to Newcastle to try to help Bob overcome his fear of animating. Mind you a very tall puppet with half his foot missing is a bit of a handicap to begin with.

And then having sat on my second book for a good few weeks, the publishers now want it all done and dusted with any changes after the weekend. A few late nights ahead.
Barry

Return to Diary 2009