DECEMBER 2010

DECEMBER 2010

Postby Barry » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:12 am

December 8th 2010

No major travelling in this month, but there are a few trips lined up for the spring. The 'we can't pay you but' is getting a rather familiar opening line of many emails.

Actually just had a rather pleasing email to say that Screen Play has been voted no. 40 in the ASIFA International's list of 50 greatest animated shorts in the last 50 years. I can live with that. I think there were 6 British films and five of them were from around the early/mid 90s and were Channel Four productions. What does that say, apart from well done Channel Four. The all time winner was Sjankmayers Dimensions of Dialogue, with Nurstein's Hedgehog in the fog as no 2.

Otherwise, December has been a struggle so far. A struggle with the weather and a struggle with no money. Inspite of that, the Tchaikovsky puppet has been started. Unusually for me, the script is not finished yet, but soon will be. Odd to think that Tchaikovsky has gone into production and Plume is still in post production.

But darn, I need to earn some money....somehow, somewhere. I can't turn down these exciting short films, but now they are nto feeling like real jobs as they simply can't keep me.
Barry

Re: DECEMBER 2010

Postby Barry » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:37 am

December 18th 2010

If it is my job here to scribe a honest life of an animator today then I can't pretend it's anything other than an enormous worrying struggle. I'm busy certainly, but with activities that have no fee, or an impractical fee, or else the fee takes many months to get paid. Whatever, the result is the same. I simply can't earn a living. Any spurts of money that comes in now barely makes any impact on the overdraft. And yet everyday I answer letters from students on advice on how to be an animator. If you want to earn a living, don't. I was looking at jobs in Sainsbury's this week but that really would interfere with the writing and preparation for the next film. And I am busy with that but there's a small blockage in my head which I am loathe to admit, but I think this is due to the fact that the previous film is not complete, and I can't move on until it is...and I fear that will be some time. Very very frustrating.....and that;s the understatement of the year.

So one way or another I'm fretting big time, and ready to throw it all in and just get a normal job that pays, especially at Christmas, but, but, but........
Barry

Re: DECEMBER 2010

Postby Barry » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:36 pm

December 31st 2010

So that's 2010, the year of the beard, done, and frankly it was the worst of all possible years. I've not had enough work, and the work I have had generally did not pay appropriately. The bills have not been paid. I've travelled and talked till I was hoarse about animation, but it has been a stinker of a year....not just for me I fear.

The highlight should have been filming the new film, Plume, but for better or for worse that was not the experience I had in mind. Even so, it will be a good film. It did provoke me to ask some pretty major questions about this business though. The highlight, then, was probably screening my Rigoletto at the Verdi festival in Parma, and being accepted by the Opera Company as a colleague, and not some interloper or amateur. Trips to Moscow and Russia were also pretty darn exciting.

I can't talk about cultural events as I simply can't afford to go to the cinema or theatre these days, unless on a freebie, but on said freebies, I did get to see Opera North's dazzling Pinocchio again, and Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake for probably the twentieth time. Both still inspire me to keep going.

Tough times, but I'm still here, and still loving animation and the arts.
Barry

Return to Diary 2010