AUGUST 2010

AUGUST 2010

Postby Barry » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:30 pm

August 7th 2010 Chateau Renault.

Almost half way in terms of weeks away, and I have waves of panic about being away, and what is happening to the hosue, and the bills and how to earn money when I get back. Sitting here in a nice part of france, eating croissants int he sunshine, having my hands round a puppet, nay, four puppets, all day and that seems to give some validity to things, but probably the reality is that I'm hiding or not acknowledging the larger issues. It's going to be tough when I get home.

But anyway, our winged man has had company all week. Very different puppets to work, and having three doing complex choreography together is not easy. These characters are very skinny, almost Jack Skellington like, and that makes the animation harder to read.....thoguh paul and I discussed this at length about Jack....mind you the difference of schedule between two seconds a day and twelve and a good few rehearsals probably bears some influence. Howeve now the plot is really kicking off and the film has suddenly got very nasty. There's some great shots but I mustn't lose sight of the plot. Plot plot plot. I did one shot with all four characters and suddenly found one of them moving really rather beautifully but I had no idea what he was doing or why, and that suddenly scared me. Maybe like an actor saying his lines on stage and then forgetting what they meant. I soon corrected that. I also did another shot with three characters and had planned the action quite tightly, and it just didn't work....they weren't lookign violent or interesting.. I started again very quickly with no-one watching me, and had a rough plan in my head, but this time the puppets took over, leading me into an extraordinary piece of choreography that was full of character and nastiness. Lesson....well have a lan but be open to anything that develops (within perameters). This probably terrifies producers and such who are looking at the storyboard and wondering why things are different....one word. Puppets. You simply cannot tell them what to do. Plot and plan as best you can, but then let them have a say.

I'm struggling to be sociable after the shoot, but there is simply just so much to do. I do have to switch off and be by myself, and then catch up with other stuff, autre truc. But sometimes my concentration and focus gets mistaken for aloofness and indifference. It shouldn't.
Barry

Re: AUGUST 2010

Postby Barry » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:36 pm

August 20th 2010

Now I'm not doing very well with keeping the diary up, but that is solely indicative of hwo busy the shoot is, and it si busy, maybe too busy. I have found myself irritable with too many people on set, too many conversations, too many opinions. It's very hard just to get on with things, and things need getting on with. We are now a skeleton crew, which is stretching us a bit...ah we shall miss the wonderful Gilles for so many reasons, not least his brilliant lunches! However, the story is racing along and there is real drama and tension between the characters. It feels as if it is happening in real time and that they are responding to each other. i'm finding it interesting with the body language and gestures. I'm trying not to use anything that is specific to any cultures or obivious mime, but today I had to suggest smelling somethign in the air....without nostrils, or even a nose, and without eyes this was quite hard. But as always I go back to ballet and such and think how they would do it.

Like myself the puppets are suffering a bit from fatigue and could do with a good maintenance but they are simply not off set...however as the story progresses they are all detiorating naturally.

There is still masses of work to do each night, even though we have passed the half way mark, and I'm still resisting the social side of things here...I'm afraid work just has to be done, but happily Amanda and peter came to visit for the weekend, and even though it was dull and even rainy, and didn't have a car we found a surprisingly sufficient amount of things to do in Chateau Renault, even if we were clutching at straws. And the cinema in the studio proved to be a comfortable way to Amelie, which was great, and Truffaut's La Nuit American which simply has not aged at all well, and was a very uncomfortable film to watch.

So six weeks to go and six minutes...if I can just be left to get on with it, I'll do it.
What's happenign in the world out there.....?
Barry

Re: AUGUST 2010

Postby Barry » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:48 pm

28th August 2010
Five minutes to go and five weeks to go. Hopefully we can do it, but we did have a slow week, with us falling to pieces, computer falling to pieces, and the puppets falling to pieces. I tried to have a day off today but ended up spending my saturday night painting my puppet's penis. Who else can say that in all innocence? But i had a good evenign of repairs and touch ups and they are looking fine. It's certainly taking it's toll on all us this film. I am fretting over every frame, hoping that each frame is the best I can do in the allotted time and schedule and budget. I'm hoping I've nto taken short cuts or compromised. I'm hoping the movement is interesting and slightly different, and I am hoping the story is racing along, and even if things are left a little oblique there should be more than enough to keep people wanting to know what happens next. And actually what happens next is very nasty, and it's all getting tighter and tighter in frame with puppets climbing all over each other. Close up is bad enough to animate, as every blemish shows up , and you need more frames to tell the action, and the animation has to be spot on. There was one shot, probably the most dynamic shot so far, that I admit I did have four attempts at. It was only thirty frames long but was an important one, and Nadia has now made it a stunning one with a little CG trick. A shot I keep watching again and again and thinking, yep, that was right. I'm hoping too that the film is not just a lot of flapping about. so full of so many doubts, as is always the case. But I am getting good feedback so far from most people.
I did escape to Tours briefly today which felt a little rebelious and decadent, and got a shock as there is a whole world out there not that far away but I can't be part of it just yet.
So here goes for a violent week. I have to make this nasty.
Barry

Return to Diary 2010