OCTOBER 2010

OCTOBER 2010

Postby Barry » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:59 pm

And so we start the last few days of filming in Chateau Renault. Originally we were to have headed home last week or even earlier, but the technology of the UV lights has slowed us down, and this week we had what could have been a disaster with the computers. The consequences of a computer just being difficult were terrifying to contemplate. Hopefully though it is being sorted. This game is certainly a fragile one, and it is amazing that any footage every reaches the screen, let alone tells a story.

We have produced a considerable amount of footage this week and good footage. The other characters are nowehre to be sen, just Cliff, and by the end of the week he had mutilated himself in a big way, to say the least. This was techically difficult to do, but actually also rather distressing, and with a touch of Nadia magic it will be even more distressing.

There's a feel of end of term and larkiness - the end is in sight, but in a way not really, as there is a still a big chunk of the film missing, and so much post. I'd like to charge straight into this whilst i still have the momentum, but I'm not quite sure what happens next.

This has been a hard slog - any film is and that's part of it, but being stuck in a town with so little to offer has made things even harder. Also I fear I'm not as fit as when I did the last marathon of a film, and all that twisting, bending under sets, manoevering past cameras, stretching and focussing millimetres in front of you in a dark hot smelly room does take its toll.

However, I think what we have achieved is quite soemthing, and belies the size of the crew and budget and facilities. It will look deceptively simple on film, but hopefully really rather striking, and full of resonances.

Can't wait for the next stage now, but first to head home in five days, a good english breakfast, a massage, a swim, a sauna, the sunday papers, and some culture.
Barry

Re: OCTOBER 2010

Postby Barry » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:07 pm

October 13th, Parma, Italy.

Too much to catch up with and it has been an eventful ten days, getting the last shots done in Chateau renault on the film. The very final shot is quite a significant one, and i did a version, that echoed all that had gone before, but oh dear lordie, it was fidgety. I know he stands up for the first time without wings and it would be very odd for him, but there was no need for all that finding the balance palaver. It was OK but he looked drunk rather than free from wings, and so I racked my conscience and reshot it it, much simpler and that gives it so much more gravitas. And so that's the stop motion done, but not the film. Masses to do.
And so I left Chateau Renault and was home feeling very odd, but little time to ponder as so much to do to kick start the house and car again, and all that. I caught up with things at the Garrick, grabbed a salt sea scrub/mud wrap/massage which did wonders. And then no sooner had i unpacked than i was packing and getting organised to go off again. Monday was spent in Abbots Bromley Girls school adjudicating their drama festival. A huge amount of invention in six musical playlets - more invention than perhaps say precision or control but such energy. The girls were lovelya fterwards, chatting away with such enthusiasm, and hopefully I managed to drop a few pearls of wisdom for them. Tuesday was judging some animationf ilms for the RTS awards, this time in Leeds, and now I am here in Parma, ready to screen Rigoletto in verdi's home theatre. This is scary. I di like being met at the airport, not by someone holding my name misspelt, but by simply holding a card with Verdi's portrait on. I liked being connected in that way. The long car journey to Parma from Milan was helped by the driver and I listening to Madama Butterfly, though it was all getting horribly nasty when we pulled up at the apartment. What could possibly happen to Cio Cio San next?
So a frantically busy week, but I've not earnt anything. It's all getting a bit complicated too as I need visas but can't allow the passport to get out of my hands as I need it.
Strange old life, and England is having a very late indian summer with blue skies and red leaves.
But oh it was good to be home. A million odd thoughts flickering through about the whole french experience and what happens next there.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:23 pm

October 16th 2010

Well 60 hours in Italy topped a truly extraordinary and actually rather difficuult week. I am a bit numb with all the stuff I have to do to catch up with after being away, and with the whole experience to digest, but that process hasn't been helped by jetting off again. Ah but Parma, dear Parma, I have always had a good time there. And I do not make films to get applause or for anything to do with ego, but it is good to have one's work understood, and to see an awareness of what has been achieved. I was so nervous at screening Rigoletto in front of this audience - an audience, more than any, who could have had cause to hate the film - short, with puppets, in english, with so much music missing, and shown at the prestigious Verdi festival in the theatre most associated with Verdi. Anyone of those would have been enough to criticise the film. Who was going to come to see it, and at 5.00 in the afternoon, when they are probably already overdosed on Joe Green. I couldn't answer that, but fortunately an inordinate number of very elegant bums films and inordinate number of very elegant chairs in the Teatro Regio's main function room. I was astonished, and even more astonished at the reception the film got, and the amount of hugs and kisses and excited speeches afterwards. It still seems to work, even more than before. I look at the film and have hopefully matured or have a more sophisticated approach now, and would love to film it again, and redesign it with more breathtaking visuals....with that thought the idea of a ninety minute feature of Rigoletto denied me any sleep on thursday night. But what a thrill, and an honour to show this film in this venue. Thank you Giancarlo for so much, and thank you Guiseppe. Watching the film, some of the animation is clunky but some is really rather tender and beautiful and subtle. Can i say that now? Anyway it was good to get enthused again, after feeling a little deflated with the struggle that is called film making and earning a living today.

Oh I lie, I am not earning a living. Getting back to Manchester (and rather bizarrely my luggage came not with me but headed to Japan) the reality of my situation is terrifying. I don't think I have ever been in such a perilous financial situation. Of course, three big events going unpaid this week don't help, (even if the prestige is something), nor do a pile of bills that I can't pay, nor the fact that I can't afford to have necessary work done on the car, so that's gone and I am working everywhere. Very bizarre going from being called Maestro Purves at the opera house and talking about deep musical things to digging for coins in old pockets just to find money for supper. But oh the opera house experience. They are so kind to me there, and the opera was so astonishing, and I did feel so at home, and so comfortable waltzing in through the stage door to meet people I an honestly call friends. Now if I could just work there, just once......

So I find myself in limbo, with one project not quite finished, and with the next project lining up rather rapidly but without me having written it yet. Yes I am so busy, but the scale of financial rewards, and their frequency these days just are not what they used to be. I am simply not doing enough paid work, and am racing downwards in a vertical spiral. It would be so easy just to let go.....
Barry

Postby Barry » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:26 pm

23rd October 2010

Oh my, a whole week at home and in my own bed. Mostly taken up with the time consuming mechanics of various upcoming trips. The Russian visa provided a few hair raising moments - i was nervous about sending away the passport with a trip before to Canada, but eventually all is well and the passport back with me. Various film prints have headed to festivals so again waiting for Fed-ex and all that. A lot of waiting this week, and I haven't done the work I had intended on future projects, but I certainly have not sat down or wasted any time this week. Not sure I have actually moved anything along as such, but it's been busy just catching up.
Barry

Postby Barry » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:43 am

October 28th, i think, Montreal, I think

I'm in my third day in beautiful, colourful, eccentric, exciting Montreal, and having great fun. I'm here for a stop motion festival mastermind by a wonderful ball of enthusiastic energy called Erik Goulet and his lovely wife Veronica. It is a small festival but people seem very excited about it and I am delighted to be here. I like small and personal. The trip over was relatively easy, though it still seems odd not to be able to fly direct to Canada from Manchester. -oh maybe you can but costs are prohibitive. I wen via Amstersdam with kLM who are certainly luxurious after some of the flights i have done recently. A great entertainment system made the flight go quickly, but I chose an eclectic trio of films - Nanny MacPhee 2, Valkyrie and sex and the City 2. I was met by Erik and Veronica and taken to the B&B. I love these wonderful houses with the distinctive outside staircases which are a work of art and statement at the same time. Over the next couple of days we did a university radio show which was certainly an interesting experience - hopefully we were a little more interesting than the long burger spot on before us. Erik has taken me to a variety of great restaurants and a quick trip round the city. The view from the top of the mountain rather took my breath away. I went over to the National Film Board and got excited and depressed at the same time. Excited to see so much talent, so many familiar faces and friends, and so many exciting projects all going on under the same roof, but depressed that we just do not have the same thing back home. They are able to spend a year on a project that I have to do in a couple of months. Yes, very envious there.
Today I have wandered round the Village that contained a staggeringly complex bookshop and a DVD and music shop....oh joy, but finances and luggage allowances prevented me from indulging in buying.
Definitely a good few days so far. Oh I love animation and its rewards.
Barry

Return to Diary 2010