January 2010

January 2010

Postby Barry » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:07 pm

January 9th 2010

And so it begins - well it doesn't really as we have all been in deference to the snow, and what snow. There were drifts around the house of up to 18 inches which put paid to any thoughts of going anywhere. That certainly lowers the expenses when you are stuck in the house eating beans and oatcakes and tinned fruit. I did venture forth on foot and replenish for a few days, but oh the sight of every one falling over, cars skidding, shops shut, schools shut and such! Absolute chaos everywhere and this of course has scotched whatever movement there might have been in getting a job or money. Places are simply shut, so any payment due is still sitting on desks, or in the post office unable to be delivered. So that has been a tricky start to the year. What happens when there's nothing left even in the negative?

I haven't o course been idle. There was the panto, a million DVD's, and too many treatments to write for free. The pressure with these is tricky as I want to get them done, but I have too many. However I am trying to give each a couple of hours a day, which almos seems like a real job, but then I remember....the red bills. However some of the projects I am managing to give attention too and taking shape, but if only this was real work.

So Manchester today was colder than the south pole, and it certainly felt it. Very Scott of the Antartic - which is appropriate as Scott stayed in this house before one of his expeditions.

A limping start to the year.
Barry

Re: January 2010

Postby Barry » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:06 pm

January 16th 2010

Still limping in that I've not got up to speed at all. I've been applying for various funding for retraining, and one even seems to pay, but i've not heard. I'm literally grasping at straws, maybe doing some acting for tuppence on a web show. Maybe. I have been busy, very busy with my different projects and have got into a good routine of about two hours on each, per day, but the money of course is not coming in, and a visit to the bank proved fruitless. No sympathetic at all. I did lead a workshop at the Garrick about directing - well we talked about the difficulties and joys of the space, how a show is put on at the garrick, what I thought directing was about, and then finally we staged six different versions of the balcony scene from Private Lives. Pushing that scene to extreme some surprising comedy and subtexts appeared. As with everything, once you think outside of the box, heavens you can liberate things. That was very funny indeed.
This year clearly is going to be a struggle but next year might have the potential to look very different....maybe. An interesting conference call this morning.
Barry

January 2010

Postby Barry » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:55 pm

January 25th 2010

Well what a frantically busy ten days. Thankfully the snow is all gone, and yes how quickly we have forgotten the dramas.

i've been working very long hours on a whole range of things - I have four writing projects, all being done for free, but they are taking up every single moment of each day. There's a fifth just appeared that might have some cash attached to it. I'm trying to do as much storyboarding as I can, and i need to do more. This is for Feather/Plume and it seems a logn way away but the time to move to france will suddenly race upon me. I've enjoyed timing the shots, maybe being a bit generous with the short drmatic shots, but I have found that a stop motion rarely works if it is under a second. Live action can do that with a blurred image, but not stop motion.

I did some live action acting for video reference for an animated series - directed from New York, with the CG animators in Shanghai, and the animation supervisor in Chorlton. Quite bizarre but it seems to work very well. so there was I beign a magician in the Irish Club in Chorlton swishing around in a cape. I think I was probably awful and maybe not as liberated as I could have been, but there were some good clean and strong shapes - more ballet than cartoon perhaps.

And a teaching session in a college, trying to talk to Event Management students about the importance of design as a storytelling element. I enjoyed watching them have their minds blown by some animation I showed. There's quite a lot of teaching coming up all over the north west, thankfully, but my car is playing up and I can't afford to fix it. I'm hoping I don't end up in a ditch. Some of the teaching is actually not worth the time and expense, and by the time I take the travel off, I'll come away with literally a few pounds. still it is a few pounds i wouldn't have had earlier that day.

I'm mentoring another student, and talking about theatrical things. So stuff is brewing but just at the moment, I am literally diving down the sofa to see if there are any pennies there. I've got a meeting in London about a big project, but I'm not sure my credit card will actually let me buy the ticket. How did it come to this. Still, there are things being dangled. Some big, well paid ones that perhaps aren't so interesting, and some small insufficiently paid ones that are very interesting. A dilemma.

And thanks to the generosity of some friends, I've managed to see a couple of shows. Oh it hurts to see all that lovely live theatre rushing by that I can't watch, but i've not done too badly last week with three shows in all!
Barry

Re: DIARY 2010

Postby Barry » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:07 am

January 31st 2010

Ah, just woken up in that eerie silence and that strange light that tells you immediately that the snow is back, and not just a flurry. It is back with a sudden melodramtaic vengeance. Hoepfully it's not freezing as I really can't be doing with all that chaos again. My mind was in a strange place anyway as I went to bed having watched a genuinely upsetting documentary using all the available video footage of the 2004 tsunami.....so tragic, so violent, so sudden, and yet so utterly surreal. The stuff of science fiction, but oh so hideously real. So many lives lost and changed in an instant.

Well I did some teaching this week, with the satisfying and unique number of one student to a work station. We can really get good results that way. Four to a work station is ridiculous but all too common. Otherwise it has been more writing and writing. I sent one project off, and reached a landmark with another but still they come, I have five on the go at the moment.

Temporary rescue might be at hand with a tax rebate. Ah that would solve a few things briefly.

The generosity of friends again saw me at Les miserables and again I loved this reinvention, but still marvel at the sheer slickness and coordination of the event. From where i was sat I could see in the wings and watch the actors. even with the show being a cliche/icon they were still so focused. I have seen a previous touring production where some of the cast and direction was less than committed.

I happened to be among a group of busy working animators this week. When you are down you are certainly if not out then something of an outsider! It is a disconcerting feeling to be out of the loop. Having had this terrible year, or two really, it has taught me to appreciate every second of work and every penny, and to take nothing, absolutely nothing, whether it is experience, talent, awards, or whatever, for granted. Someone saying 'oh never mind' nearly caused a reaction I might have lived to regret.

Hopefully, and accordingly confirmed by the government(!), we might all be coming out of this hard time.
Barry

Return to Diary 2010