JANUARY 2011

JANUARY 2011

Postby Barry » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:13 am

And welcome back to everyone. Due to a flood of spam mails from around the world making a mess of things here, my brother in law Peter closed the site down for a week or so, and worked his butt off sorting it out, making it spam free, and we are back.

I'll get to catch up with things as soon as possible, but it's good to be back.
Barry

Re: JANUARY 2011

Postby Barry » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:40 pm

Janaury 16th 2011

Ok so it has been a good few weeks since I have posted on here, and in that time we've had Christmas and all that snow...so much snow. The coutnry ground to a halt but things seem to be up and running again.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with everything, all the half dozen or so projects I have going - only two or one actually have a wage attached to it at the moment, and that is a wage far below the minimum wage. But hey welcoem to the arts in Britain in 2011.

I'm getting very excited about my Tchaikovsky project, and especially this week as an initial sculpt appeared and he is gorgeous and I already feel empathy for him. He is quite naturalistic and as usual I do feel that perhaps I should push the stylisation a bit further, but the stylisation in this film will come from the environment he finds himself in. Also I feel if I went a little cartoony then perhaps the angst may be harder to realise - or is that a naive idea that only certain styles can cope with the heavy stuff. Anyway, the sculpt is looking very sophisticated. I'm enjoying working with the music, and am pleased with myself for having edited the various takes that were done in Russia to a coherent piece, and this is very much guiding the storyboarding process. I am using a progamme called Springboard whcih is very easy and versatile though I have not found a way to send it elsewhere yet. My drawings are terrible and Tchaikovsky keeps on ending up looking like Lenin. Actually a few people have remarked that the sculpt looks like me. Tchaikovsky is very much in the news with the film of Black Swan, and everyone is discussing what Swan Lake is about. Well my little film will have a different interpretation. It's a shame that I'm making a film about tchaikovsky with a huge film overshadowing me. That's going to happen again with the next film, about Melies. Scorcese is doing a huge film about Melies and the world will rediscover him. Sadly I hoped I would be responsible for that in a small way.

Of the other projects, I am busy with High Society though rehearsals are a long way off. I am getting ready for teaching at Manchester University. With my producer and composer, I spent an exciting few days working on the script for a feature film we are writing together.

And the French, well I would liked to have been more involved with the post production, but it wasn't to be. However it is looking good.

The year is off to a frantic start but still struggling with financial things to a degree I have not before. I would love to work on a big feature, and keep writing references for other animators to do so, but my track record of interest from said features has been so dispiriting.
Barry

Re: JANUARY 2011

Postby Barry » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:34 pm

January 27th 2011

The lack of posts here are some indication of how busy I have been. It takes me a few hours each morning to catch up with mails and students and festivals and such, but then I have been relentless with all the projects. All a little ridiculous actually how much I am juggling, but that is good and necessary. There's still stuff a plenty to do on Plume, Tchaikovsky is very demanding in so many areas, the swan Down Gloves need my attention but are getting little, and then I am back teaching, with two big sessions this week on the same day; one a difficult one at Edge Hill and then an exciting one at Stoke, which are not exactly neighbouring cities. And then I start at Manchester Uni next week, and that needs a lot of prepartion. All this and I am preparing to direct and design a musical at the Garrick. Not much time left out of the days for me, but I do try to manage a swim if I can. It may be a little easier these days as culture is not part of my life as it used to be - simply cannot afford it, though I did succumb to BRB's Cinderella, and that was worth the days of beans on toast that will cause. Well yes, where has this all gone so tragically wrong. Here I am so busy, and as good as bankrupt with nothing for the rainy day, and boy is it raining now. It does not help that colleges take months to pay, and that that pay is so much reduced now.
Barry

Return to Diary 2011