SEPTEMBER 2011

SEPTEMBER 2011

Postby Barry » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:34 pm

September 4th 2011

There's not been much development on the work front which has given me time to reflect on the various films. Sometimes I wish I did more work in theatre wherethings can be improved and finessed the next evening, or developed as a long run goes on. With animation you get one shot, literally, and that's it, so it's natural that you constantly keep thinking of ways to improve things. Even with NEXT, now nearly twenty two years old, I keep thinking of different ways to have expresses the plays. Tonight I have just thought of a good piece of business tonight, for Plume which would have been fantastic. The tough thing with this is not to see this as not having thought everything through in the pre-production. Crikey I did enough thinking then, but suddenly a bit of distance, or having time, and scenes keeping churning round in my head. There's nothing wrong with the film at all, but if there's been more seconds, more time to shoot, but that's called film making. I guess this happens with every director in any medium, who have the chance to tinker and refine over the years. I may change a few things if there was the chance to revisit earlier films. I suppose this is entirely natural. You grow as an artist, as a person. However I have shown both PLume and Tchaikovsky to various friends, some who have been part of their history and some who have been innocent of the knowledge, and both films have made a huge impression, thanksfully.

The timelapse footage that Joe, Nathan and Michael shot during Tchaikovskys' 'suicide' is getting thousands of hits and wonderful comments on the internet. How exciting that people are excited by what they see.

I'm definitely feeling in limbo somewhat, until the next project, and next wage, is sorted out.
Barry

Re: SEPTEMBER 2011

Postby Barry » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:00 pm

September 9th 2011

Not a great week really, as I simply do not know when or where I shall be working next, or what on. very frustrating and this has got me down somewhat. There are hints of work but we are waiting for other people to make decisions, all whislt the clock ticks away. Some nice Christmas commercials are dangling in front of us, but half way through september is very late to be starting even loosely thinking about such commercial when they need to be on air at the start of November. It would be great to do them but I would have to rearrange other festivals and talks, and a little teaching, but we have not heard. Actually what it all comes down to is that I need a job. A project to focus on. I have been writing on a feature film script but with absolutely no hint that this might ever get made, or that there is even one iota of interest, it feels a little onanistic.

Contrasting with this is still the extraordinary response to the time lapse of tchaikovsky. People are contacting me and leaving messages from all over the world. Yes, I guess people like to see the technique and with stop motion being aware of the technique is part of the process and appreciation. I wish we had done more of it now. It was a little disruptive to me concentrating but it is certainly an effective sequence.

Great to be mobile now....I just need to jobs to be rushing off to.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:57 pm

September 17th 2011

Well that was an exceedingly odd week, even by my standards - praise and rejection in equal measure. No, not that equal.

The rejection first, and rejection never gets any easier, but it happens so often that you just have to brush it off, and try and make sense of it by saying 'it's their loss', even if, actually, it's your loss. I did not get the job as a puppeteer on a big series to be shot in Altrincham where I live. As Mr Wilde muttered the truth is rarely simple and I suspect that a shared history with those that got the job may have been a factor. Still I can't but help of just how much I could have contributed in so many ways. Darn six months on a great, paid job on my doorstep. That would have been grand.

The other rejection is that my bear, Pooh, did not make the final three in the Grayson Perry exhibition at the British Museum. Still he got a great letter and his photo will be on display on the website as a glorious runner up. It probably did not help that a friend of my sister's would not vote for Pooh as I had called him 'The Rapist'. I will call a bear many things but not that, and we did not understand what she meant. The three words I had used to describe Pooh were 'Companion, therapist, and survivor.' Enough said.

We've still been talking about two commercials but they are being left so late now, that they simply cannot be aired in time for christmas. Compromises will need to be made and that is likely to be the films being made in CG, just to get them out. And CG in this instance will be so wrong for the concept behind the ads. once again we come face to face with people who want animation, but have little understanding of what actually it is, or how it works. Very frustrating as they are lovely ads. But they can't be done now.

And I'm still smarting about the rather weak cartoon playing at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre non stop.....it certainly did not give Shakespeare much dignity.

After all this disappointment this week, it's little wonder that replying to a conductor friend's compliment that I had really managed to capture, in my film, Tchaikovsky's sense of disappointment, that it was a sentiment with which I was no stranger. Showing him both the new films led to a very indepth chat about music, and just how it works.

A couple of nicer things, well three actually. I went over to Barnsley to do a talk for the Animated Yorkshire Group. A great group actually but a cold antisceptic building - the digital media centre. Very clinical. But the films went down very well. And then last night I was the speak at the premiere of a film made by a school in Salford that has developed a more creative and hands approach to their curriculem. And it was a great stop motion film about their school, and made in an amazingly short time. Very funny and great design. I used as my theme the idea of the joy of a shared creative process, and this was exactly right as the students seemed utterly transformed by the process. It's great to witness something like that. There were a few figures from the Manchester animation world, and all but one were out of work. I'm glad I did not have to speak about how exciting it is to be part of the Manchester Animation world.

And finally, I have been awarded a very presitigious honour by a festival in Poland. It is for artists who give their time to students, and I can't argue with that. I can argue though with the name of the award. The Golden Dinosaur. I'll give them the benfit of the doubt, that something got lost in translation. But yes let's face it, I am a dinosaur, and maybe a golden one, as I will not go down in less than a glittering fashion.

Strange week, and no job.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:10 pm

SEPTEMBER 24TH 2011

Well we finally destroyed the Tchaikovsky set today. Very sad to see it go. It's been in my spare room for six months now, and the space will be welcome. But it was a lovely set, and served the film very well. Shame it can't be displayed anywhere, but too late now, it's gone.

Not a great week, if truth be told. No developments with any work, and no income. And seeing two good pieces of theatre rather made me feel even more useless and impotent.
Barry

Return to Diary 2011