NOVEMBER 2011

NOVEMBER 2011

Postby Barry » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:17 pm

November 6th 2011

Half way through six weeks of a huge amount of living out of a suitcase and travelling. This week I was down at the National Film and Television School - a school for which I have much affection. It is an amazing place, with a very modern recption, but with buildings behind that go way back, as do all the props, sets and such that clutter up the corridors. It's a place that is certainly lived in, and full of history. Like most colleges, I still find the facilities limited and the scope of subjects narrower than I would l suggest, but crikey, there's some good stuff being produced here. Very good stuff, and the students are there because they so want to learn. We had a few good sessions with puppets, but it is frustrating to work with puppets held up by blu-tac and so forth. I really do believe that colleges should invest in a good few decent durable puppets and the appropriate sets but it's all down to budgets....and what the definition of a puppet is, I guess. But I love goign to the NFTS. There's a great creative buzz about it. I don't even mind staying at the local ETAP hotel...this week outside my window was the lake, full of ducks and surrounded by dazzling yellow leafed trees. Just the conglomeration of smells from the various fast food outlets is a little off putting.
A big week ahead with BAF next.
Barry

Re: NOVEMBER 2011

Postby Barry » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:33 am

November 16th 2011

Oh dear the days are racing away, but what a crazy week, and at the moment I can only be brief. My week was mainly taken up with numerous events I was involved with at BAF 2011 in Bradford, which involved much driving acorss the Pennines and much organisation and juggling of my time. But a great week full of great people and films - so many business cards to try and make sense of now. My talk seemed to go well, and the films had some seemingly quite deep reactions. They certainly looked magnificent on the big big screen. I did so much talking and promoting of other peoples' work as well. Some good meals, and as soon as all this was done I raced down to London for a Salute to Vanessa Redgrave and ended up sharing nibbles with the great and the good and the utterly charming. The evening nearly saw me sleeping on the floor of Euston Station but i managed to catch the last train home by a hairs' breadth. That would have been a rather undignified end to a high powered few days. No time to catch my breath, as it's on with the next thing. Amall a bit overwhelmed just now. But exhilerated.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:02 pm

November 19th 2011

A week running the full gamut of emotions this week, but then I am not sure that's different from any other week of mine. As usual, there was a bit of post-festival blues and emotional confusion after BAF, but the evening at the salute to Vanessa Redgrave gave me such a buzz, which of course then brought an extr deep dip afterwards. And it seems I have a new job, which, heaven forfend, if I don't mess up will keep me busy and at home for a good few months. Essential at the moment. It's been exciting getting my head round a new world, even if I've jumped in at the very deep end. Happily I'm a decent swimmer. But in reality, the week has been dominated by the death of Mark Hall. This has hit us all very hard. A gentle man and a gentleman, and I personally owe my whole career to him, and his trust in taking me on, having seen some potential in me. That Mark became a friend for all those years ark and his work. His death has an extra poignancy with the sad sight of the actual studios of Cosgrove Hall being pulled down this week. Neither event should have happened so soon.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:43 pm

November 26th 2011
Well what a week that was, no hang on, what a month that was. The tour of France, teaching in Bournemouth, Vanessa Redgrave and Meryl Streep, creative Calderdale, Flip in Wolverhampton, the photo session, BAF, getting the new job, and then heading to Poland to collect an award for the work I have done with students, and a certificate to acknoweldge Screen Play's inclusion on the ASIFA's top 50 short films. I was in Poland for just a day but caught up with a lot of friends from around the world, and did a workshop, animating live in front of a substantial audience. Not the ideal situation with a wobbly table and in effect animating blind, but the audience enjoyed watching the process. The party after the awards ceremony saw me getting a little giddy on cherry vodka. An action packed few weeks, and I'm both exhilerated and exhausted. And it is going to get even busier.
Barry

Return to Diary 2011