Re: 2012

Postby Barry » Sun May 20, 2012 3:35 pm

MAY 20TH 2012

Four weeks since I ahve written...that is not good enough, bu I guess fifteen hour days, and too many projects is some sort of excuse. As I sit here, with Monteverdi wanting to sit on the nee laptop, the two dress runs of Aida are happening down the road at the Garrick. I saw the first half of the afternoon run, and it is big and colourful, but still a strange piece. It does have some good songs but is surprisingly short on drama and tension. I prefer the Verdi I have not directed this so it is difficult to be objective - designing it was enough. There was a lot of jobsworth ad red tape, and actally much criticism, even today, from people who should actually be looking after their own areas. But considering we are amateur, and everyone does this for fun, and that two weeks ago there was a huge play on the stage, considering all that we have cme up with a sensational looking show. It's a flexible, fluid but maybe rather literal space, with some beautiful bold colours. but like everything I have done at the Garrick, and this is nearly my 20th show, I still can't break out of my symmetry or my basic pattern. The symmetry I can understand as the auditorium is just so wide, leaving a rather narrow triangleof sightlines. It is too wide with a very awkward proscenium arrangement that gives a lot of dead space. But the symmetry suits me as I would be so scared to have just one member of the adience not have a view of everything important. I want all the audience to moreor less see the same thing. Lord knows professional shows do't care that much....the new Phantom in Manchester has had to resort to monitors at the back of the stalls and circle so that the audience can see essential parts of the show. I'm sorry I do not go to theatre to watch a tv monitor. All my set designs basically consist of a inner reaised area or stage, with an entrance at the back, that everyone can see, and then a wider shape that encloses the area - oh hang on, I have just described what worked so well for Shakespeare. This way everyone gets a good view.
But I could have done without some petty remarks that took the wind out of my sails. But as with my day job this month, I have o accept that if you are in a position of responsibility, you will usually get blamed or anthgn that goes wrong. That's fine. Probably I should have seen a few things earlier and nippd them in the bud. I guess a director's role is to have all the answers.
I've also been busy with catchingup after the Anifest, and doing the trailer for a festival in Seoul. I far they might be expecting a lovely puppet doing lovely puppet stuff - I can't manage that on this schedule but it should be interesting all the same.
Yep a busy few weeks. Very.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sun May 27, 2012 1:37 pm

may 27th 2012

And a stunningly sunny sunday, and I am locked inside animating. I am just filming the ident i've been doing for a big festival in July. Most of it involves drawn clips from the crew I am currently working with. We've each done three seconds, and you've never seen so many experienced aniamtors fall to pieces. We don't think twice about doign some fancy puppet animation, but actually doing some hand drawn animation has terrified us all. My drawings make for rather impressive individual frames, and I thought they would look terrible moving, but actually they are fine. it should be a lively, raw sequence. I'll be glad when it is done, but I have enjoyed, just as I am glad that finally Aida is done, but I have enjoyed it. I was a little disappointed that one paper described the set as 'simple but effective'. Simple it was not, effective it most certainly was. I guess i started working on it last May, and whilst it looked quite happy sat on the stage, the amount of work that went into it, was a little ridiculous. Invisible work about decisions that led me down different ways, or days of playing with the proportions and colours. i came up with an idea that would have been startling and would have gone some way to hinting at the twenty or so different spaces suggested in the libretto but we simply could not have afforded to that, either in time or finance. And the last play was a big set, and we had to wait for some flats to come free. But I found a good compromise, and I think it worked rather well. An amazingly sung production, and some startlingly rich costumes. I'm not wild about just designing shows as you don't get to be involved in the same way, and you have certain ways you thing the action should be staged using the set...sometimes the director uses it in interesting ways you had not thought of, and sometimes they miss the full use of the set or miss the convention. But here Aida all worked really.
On the circus show, well I have been pretty breathless. My already rather brain meltingly complex workload was doubled by illness - hopefully I managed to be on top of it, but there is a lot going on in my head. Sometimes if an aniamtor asks me about shot 87 I do look a bit blank. I have to dig into my head to find the episode and the storyboard, and there it is.
And a trip to London - the jurney was quick but but other passengers, well I will become a hermit soon as I certainly do not enjoy sitting on the train surrounded by loud, volatile people. In london I was the guest at the Wellcome Trust, doign a discussion about how we percieve and create movement. The fellow speaker was a neuroscientist, and this did lead to some lively discussion. I did try to make it more of a show rather than a dead lecture, and I think it was pretty lively. The audience certainly enjoyed seeing the film of Tchaikovsky and holding the puppet. I also took my teddy, Pooh, as an example of how we use external objects to make sense of our internal thoughts. The audience loved Pooh and all his faded glamour. a good day, with a rather splendid indian veggie buffet before. I caught the trains traight back and then was in for the last last act of Aida. That was some end of some week.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sun May 27, 2012 1:37 pm

may 27th 2012

And a stunningly sunny sunday, and I am locked inside animating. I am just filming the ident i've been doing for a big festival in July. Most of it involves drawn clips from the crew I am currently working with. We've each done three seconds, and you've never seen so many experienced animators fall to pieces. We don't think twice about doign some fancy puppet animation, but actually doing some hand drawn animation has terrified us all. My drawings make for rather impressive individual frames, and I thought they would look terrible moving, but actually they are fine. it should be a lively, raw sequence. I'll be glad when it is done, but I have enjoyed, just as I am glad that finally Aida is done, but I have enjoyed it. I was a little disappointed that one paper described the set as 'simple but effective'. Simple it was not, effective it most certainly was. I guess i started working on it last May, and whilst it looked quite happy sat on the stage, the amount of work that went into it, was a little ridiculous. Invisible work about decisions that led me down different ways, or days of playing with the proportions and colours. i came up with an idea that would have been startling and would have gone some way to hinting at the twenty or so different spaces suggested in the libretto but we simply could not have afforded to that, either in time or finance. And the last play was a big set, and we had to wait for some flats to come free. But I found a good compromise, and I think it worked rather well. An amazingly sung production, and some startlingly rich costumes. I'm not wild about just designing shows as you don't get to be involved in the same way, and you have certain ways you thing the action should be staged using the set...sometimes the director uses it in interesting ways you had not thought of, and sometimes they miss the full use of the set or miss the convention. But here Aida all worked really.
On the circus show, well I have been pretty breathless. My already rather brain meltingly complex workload was doubled by illness - hopefully I managed to be on top of it, but there is a lot going on in my head. Sometimes if an aniamtor asks me about shot 87 I do look a bit blank. I have to dig into my head to find the episode and the storyboard, and there it is.
And a trip to London - the journey was quick but but other passengers, well I will become a hermit soon as I certainly do not enjoy sitting on the train surrounded by loud, volatile people. In london I was the guest at the Wellcome Trust, doign a discussion about how we percieve and create movement. The fellow speaker was a neuroscientist, and this did lead to some lively discussion. I did try to make it more of a show rather than a dead lecture, and I think it was pretty lively. The audience certainly enjoyed seeing the film of Tchaikovsky and holding the puppet. I also took my teddy, Pooh, as an example of how we use external objects to make sense of our internal thoughts. The audience loved Pooh and all his faded glamour. a good day, with a rather splendid indian veggie buffet before. I caught the trains traight back and then was in for the last last act of Aida. That was some end of some week.
Barry

JUNE 2012

Postby Barry » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:11 pm

June 3rd 2012

I am eternally grateful for one Betty Windsor for having a little river trip today, and a party outside her house tomorrow, and giving us a few days off. I think actually without this break I might have had a little meltdown, as come friday this week I was exhausted. Yes, of course, too many projects that took a lot of juggling, juggle them I did. Aida has been cleared away and it is good to have evenings sort of free again, though I still have a weekly evenign meeting at the Garrick for the play and casting committee. We are casting up to our third play in the next season - all very complicated but interesting. Toby has been totally full on - more episodes keep coming into my head, without me being able to make space in my head by clearing out the first episode as we are still working on the post production. And it's looking great. I'm itching to put the sound effects. The first music has arrived and adds another glorious layer. At the moment I am working on thirty episodes - that's quite a lot. I have been looking a little blank a bit of this week. we had two days of voice record and recorded ten episodes. I enjoy these sessions but they do drain me, mainly through having to drive everything and not letting it drop for a second.

I've almost finished the trailer for the animation festival in Koreathink it looks good. Not everyone put in as much effort as others, and the clips go from rich and complex to rather half hearted but it should be good and do what it says on the tin.

at the moment, lots of animators will be having better weather, hopefully at Annecy. Shame not to be there but at least Tchaikovsky is screening. I am surprised and disappointed that they did not want Plume. Ah well.
Barry

JUNE 18th

Postby Barry » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:54 pm

JUNE 18th 2012
And that's quite a gap of diary entries - sheer workload I'm afraid.
There was a documentary quietly hidden away on BBC4 this last week about Nina Conti who sort of fell into ventriloquism after her partner, the extraordinary Ken Cambell, gave her a do-it-yourself ventriloquism act, and my were the floodgates opened. She is an extaordinary ventriliquist, but that was not the point of this documentary. The point was about the catalyst that puppets provide for intimate release - her true thoguht sand feeligns came flooding out through her puppets, often with shocking and moving results, none more so than when curled up in bed with the head of a puppet that resembled Cambell. In part of the documentary, she travelled to Vent Haven, where puppets are left and given a good home. She left one puppet, and elderly granny, and it was as affecting as leaving a relative in a care home. She tried to 'kill' a particularly volatile monkey puppet by crushing it under a car, and was genuinely contorted with anguish. That's the trouble, once we give these characters life, and essentially our most intimate life, it's hard to take that life away. Thsi was a brilliant tender piece of film making, and the sight of hundreds of abandoned or bequeathed puppets at Vent Haven bordered on tragic.
I have worked with many puppets, manipulating them myself or some I have just directed, and it is mainly the ones that I have physically handled over many months that I have a real empathy for. It's that physical contact that is so unique. I'm loving directing Toby but he is not in my head the way that Tchaikovsky is. With Toby my job is about storytelling and logisitics and co-ordination. With Tchaikovsky I was the performer. sadly, inspite of some lovely mails and texts saying that the film had reduced them to tears, the film Tchaikovsky did not win anything at Annecy last week. I would love it to win just one award so that I can call it an award winning film. So far it is the only film of mine not to win anything and for me, I think it is probably my best film.
Toby has certainly been hectic these last few weeks, with episodes racing out of the studio and into post production and onlining, and my they are lookign great. Big small films.
Barry

JUNE 18th

Postby Barry » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:54 pm

JUNE 18th 2012
And that's quite a gap of diary entries - sheer workload I'm afraid.
There was a documentary quietly hidden away on BBC4 this last week about Nina Conti who sort of fell into ventriloquism after her partner, the extraordinary Ken Cambell, gave her a do-it-yourself ventriloquism act, and my were the floodgates opened. She is an extaordinary ventriliquist, but that was not the point of this documentary. The point was about the catalyst that puppets provide for intimate release - her true thoguht sand feeligns came flooding out through her puppets, often with shocking and moving results, none more so than when curled up in bed with the head of a puppet that resembled Cambell. In part of the documentary, she travelled to Vent Haven, where puppets are left and given a good home. She left one puppet, and elderly granny, and it was as affecting as leaving a relative in a care home. She tried to 'kill' a particularly volatile monkey puppet by crushing it under a car, and was genuinely contorted with anguish. That's the trouble, once we give these characters life, and essentially our most intimate life, it's hard to take that life away. Thsi was a brilliant tender piece of film making, and the sight of hundreds of abandoned or bequeathed puppets at Vent Haven bordered on tragic.
I have worked with many puppets, manipulating them myself or some I have just directed, and it is mainly the ones that I have physically handled over many months that I have a real empathy for. It's that physical contact that is so unique. I'm loving directing Toby but he is not in my head the way that Tchaikovsky is. With Toby my job is about storytelling and logisitics and co-ordination. With Tchaikovsky I was the performer. sadly, inspite of some lovely mails and texts saying that the film had reduced them to tears, the film Tchaikovsky did not win anything at Annecy last week. I would love it to win just one award so that I can call it an award winning film. So far it is the only film of mine not to win anything and for me, I think it is probably my best film.
Toby has certainly been hectic these last few weeks, with episodes racing out of the studio and into post production and onlining, and my they are lookign great. Big small films.
Barry

Postby Barry » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:30 pm

hmm.....seem to be having a few hiccups here as I think I have lost a couple of entries here. Hang on....they'll be back.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:23 pm

June 24th 2012 - midsummer night

Shakespeare and Technology have been big themes for me this week, and they came together most unexpectedly in one of the many documentaries on BBC4 at the moment. Joely Richardson was talking about shakespeare's women, especially Viola and Rosalind, and at one point was sat with her mum, who calmly produced and ipad and started reading some of Rosalind's speeches. I'm not sure I ever thought I would see Vanessa Redgrave reading anipad. Why not. And she made it look so cool and sexy and sophisticated. I have a book application (no abbreviations for me) on my phone and at the moment it has half a dozen books - the Complete Pepys, a few HGWells, A Night to Remember, and of course a select few Shakespeare. I've got it in my head that I want to direct Twelfth Night. I have never seen a version that matches the sexual confusion that to me the play is about. It's not subtitled 'What you will' for nothing. We have had terrible weather this week, but tonight, midsummer, was glorious and how perfect would it have been to have grabbed a copy of the Dream and jsut read it out in the garden. It would have made a great alternative to the dreaded fotball. Still BBC4 did air the RSC version of Julius Caesar that is causing such a stir at the moment, and it was great. Vibrant, exciting, innovative. Much has been made of how it works in a south african dictator setting. Yes, it did, but I do remember a production by Roger Rees that included a tyre burning. This was back in the 80's, and just before Roger did the voice of Next for me. Darn I love shakespeare.
I don't ove technology so much this week - printers and things have been erraic and expensive. Yes of corse it makes life so much easier (how we ever edited film in the days gone by!) but a lot of time is spent coaxing and correctng and frankly, hitting things.
The tv series is getting exciting, and a little overwhelming, as the first few episodes are days from being finished. The first three are great - the next are even better. Having raised a stern eyebrow at some of the crew last wek for helping out on the rod puppet series next door (well, a camera of ours was standing waiting), I found myself jiggling a rod puppet for a crowd scene. As it turned ou, you could see little more than the puppet's wrist, and his shadow, but I'm hoping sai wrist and shadow were beatifully performed!
Barry

July Ist 2012

Postby Barry » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:43 pm

A frantic last week with much tooing and froing, but at the end of the week we have shipped our first three episodes out of the door. That is quite an achievement, and thanks to a lot of work by a lot of people, they look and sound magnificent, and are quite different to most childrens shows out there. So three down, forty nine to go.

A week complicated by having my house ripped to pieces. I have not had heating or hot water since about christmas and not been able to afford to do anything about it, but thanks to the series, I now have a new boiler and am feeling very toasty tonight. Monteverdi has suddenly found all the warm places in the house - will he now still snuggle up to me when a hot radiator beckons. But crikey, the disruption and mess. All is moving me towards a bit of life laundrying. Cupboards have been emptied. In the process i have thrown away a lot of animation stuff. Sad but necessary. Particularly sad was throwing away the tchaikovsky set. It now sits forlornly in the rain at the local dump, its' day in the sun done. I was a bit emotional to do it, but glad of the space

And Shakespeare is everywhere at the moment - certainly preferable to the football, and in my own garden in three weeks I am plotting a spontaneous (oh oxymoron alert) performance of the Dream. I hope it happens with enough people. I might well be putting a girdle round the earth in forty minutes.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:37 pm

JULY 14TH 2012

Two weeks away from here indicates the pressure of things at the moment, but all is good. I even managed a few days over with my sister and family in Ireland. It's such a restorative environment, and there is nothing better to recharge the very low batteries than a mad family game of competitive skimming on the beach. Very competitive. this time the trousers were off and I was wading in. Barley Cove, and Schull with seals swimming just inches from you are sublime places. The big Market at Bantry has to be seen......I marvel at some of the things on sale, and feel sad for the fate of some of the livestock. But a few days of good food, good company and the freshest of air was a good way to clear my head.
And my head certainly needs clearing at the moment. Three episodes of Toby are done and dusted, so that leaves 27 at the moment, that arein my head, and I have been bombarded with dates a good few weeks away of onlines, and offlines, and dubbs, and all that. I find it easier just to think about the week ahead. The dates usually change.
Lots of trailers for the big stopmotion films coming out in the autumn. It would be good to see stop motion dealing with other subjects than the paranormal or bringing things back to life...there's a lot of tha around, though I guess that is what animation is. There are just so many other subjects and genres not yet explored by stop motion. It's interesting as to what makes a good subject for animation. The BBC have a trailer for the Olympics that is very slick, but is just so wrong. The characters have echoes of The Incredibles about them. But for an event that glorifies in pushing the human body to its limits, to have CG characters doing this, really does defeat the object. When everything is possible, nothing is impossible. I'm not sure it is actually a good trailer. There are a couple of interesting moments when one activity segues seemlessly into another, and I thought that that would be a stronger trailer; havng one male and female real athlete segueing their way through every sporting activity without a cut. Using special effects to show case the feats of human skill. But no, this is actually showcasing CG.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:43 pm

Sunday 22nd July 2012

And post dream blues have hit. Well not the blues but fatigue. On a whim three weeks ago I decide to try and pull together a production of Midsummer Nights dream in my garden. This was prompted by many things; one being that the Garrick are so snotty about Shakespeare, another that I wanted to play Puck. I thought I would never find a cast, but sure enough last night about 18 people were seen rushing round the garden, on a splendid summer night, clutching their script, jumping out of bushes, dancing on the lawns and eating, and generally having a great evening. No-one knew who else was going to be there, though rumours were rife, and whilst they had read their own parts, it was still a big mystery. The garden came into its own and lots of different spaces were used. Some ingenious costumes, though I admit now, having seen photographic evidence, that my Puck was a little too fleshly. The fattest Puck e'er. But still sprightly. And having a script did not really get in the way, and so many of those lines are part of our blood. To time with the daylight going, and all the lanterns in the garden looking good, I tried to learn Pucks' beautiful last speech 'if we shadows have offended', and it took ages as learning lines gets so much harder, but happily I threw down the book and launched into it, word perfectly. Phew. Such a great speech. But where does Puck go for that 40 minutes towards the end? Anyway the evening was a great success, and I've already had requests to do Twelfth Night. Actually I'd like to do Titus andronicus.

Work has been pretty full on, though a trip to Media City was rewarded by seeing the Bat Bike and the camouflaged bat car camourglaged un close and very personal.

I'm a bit peed off that a project that I have been instrumental in kick starting and have been wanting to do for years, and is very close to my heart, and very close to me actually, looks like it is going ahead, with no invitation to be involved. Thanks a bundle.

I'm weary of the actual Olympics but can't wait for the openign ceremony, if just to see the stage mechanics transform the green and pleasant land to the city, and to see 30 Mary Poppins flying across the arena. One section seems to be celebrating influential British children's books, though no sign of Mr Toad. He should be there.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:43 pm

Sunday 22nd July 2012

And post dream blues have hit. Well not the blues but fatigue. On a whim three weeks ago I decide to try and pull together a production of Midsummer Nights dream in my garden. This was prompted by many things; one being that the Garrick are so snotty about Shakespeare, another that I wanted to play Puck. I thought I would never find a cast, but sure enough last night about 18 people were seen rushing round the garden, on a splendid summer night, clutching their script, jumping out of bushes, dancing on the lawns and eating, and generally having a great evening. No-one knew who else was going to be there, though rumours were rife, and whilst they had read their own parts, it was still a big mystery. The garden came into its own and lots of different spaces were used. Some ingenious costumes, though I admit now, having seen photographic evidence, that my Puck was a little too fleshly. The fattest Puck e'er. But still sprightly. And having a script did not really get in the way, and so many of those lines are part of our blood. To time with the daylight going, and all the lanterns in the garden looking good, I tried to learn Pucks' beautiful last speech 'if we shadows have offended', and it took ages as learning lines gets so much harder, but happily I threw down the book and launched into it, word perfectly. Phew. Such a great speech. But where does Puck go for that 40 minutes towards the end? Anyway the evening was a great success, and I've already had requests to do Twelfth Night. Actually I'd like to do Titus andronicus.

Work has been pretty full on, though a trip to Media City was rewarded by seeing the Bat Bike and the camouflaged bat car camourglaged un close and very personal.

I'm a bit peed off that a project that I have been instrumental in kick starting and have been wanting to do for years, and is very close to my heart, and very close to me actually, looks like it is going ahead, with no invitation to be involved. Thanks a bundle.

I'm weary of the actual Olympics but can't wait for the openign ceremony, if just to see the stage mechanics transform the green and pleasant land to the city, and to see 30 Mary Poppins flying across the arena. One section seems to be celebrating influential British children's books, though no sign of Mr Toad. He should be there.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:05 pm

July 28th 2012 - post Olympic opening ceremony.

And it has been an enormously productive week, with three more episodes of Toby finished by the end o the week. We are not far from the series airing in September. It's still a rush, but truth be told, I thrive on this pressure. So with these three episodes done, I can move them out of my head, which leaves me with 24 still floating in my head in various stages. That's quite a lot. I tend to get bombarded with dates for dubbs and onlines and such, but actually I can only properly take in what I am doing during the next few days, and as long as I feel I working at full pelt, then it all seems to get done.

Where we are at the moment seems to be a real creative and productive centre for animation, and it is interesting that I am getting so many calls and mails from people who might well have looked down on us a few months ago, but now work is scarace elsewhere, they are coming a crawling. some people who were too proud to do series work (and I have never been too proud to do series work - I love it) are now rethinking.

Also I am getting contacted by dozens of students, most of whose work is actually rather amazing and well presented. These are the people I would like to help first and foremost if I could. I will try, somehow.

With the shadow of the two big stop motion films coming in the next month or so, and with the overwheleming shadow of the Olympic opening ceremony, I have felt, inspite of working my butt off and developing several projects, that it would be good to get the offer to contribute to something on a world platform. A bit of a conflict here I know, but one pat of me would be hapy to carry on doing series work until I fall over, but the other part of me really wants to contribute something innovative and astonishing and big, and that vast numbers will see. Yes, conflict.

So, the opening ceremony of the Olympics has happened, and what a spectacle. It was way too long, and way too fragmented, and for something claiming to be a history of all that makes us British, there was one hell of a lot left out. To fragmented, and it jumped from overblown idea to individuals, but crikey it was spectacular,and stage managed breathtakingly.The transformation from the Jerusalem/Hobbit landscape to the industrial landscape was thrilling, as was the hundreds of beds, and Mary Poppins, and the raising of the rings, and the lighting of the caudron itself - all were astonshing and breathtaking, and did not reek of committee thankfully....even so a clear through line would have made for a more satisfying esperience. We definitely had the best view and the most comfortable seat....the poor Queen looked so miserable as shewas subjected to more rap music and Paul McCartney cocking it up spectacularly. The good bits were astonishing, but I'm not sure it hung together as an evening. But thrilling to see two friends closely involved. and yes it would ave been great to have had a call to have been involved.
Barry

Postby Barry » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:24 pm

August 9th 2012

A combination of working my butt off and getting somewhat hooked with the Olympics is responsible for the lack of entries here. And yes the Pympics have been rivetting. As always with me, it's not the winner's stories that interest me, more the also rans, the guys who have worked so hard for so many years, and then in one second, all that is gone. A belly flop, a slip, a thud to the floor, a brief mistime, and your career is changed for ever. The technology is amazing, and certainly the camera gets where it has seldom been before.

And yes wor has been truly crazy. I simply don't get a chance to sit down and make day to day phone calls. Real life is piling up fast. But all is good. A bit exhausted as I didn't have a weekend. I raced over to budapest for a stop motion workshop. This had been going on for a few days before I arrived.....I was aware of breezing in full of sound and fury. I was sad that perhaps, because of lack of facilities, creature comforts and other things, that the students weren't getting the most professional or comprehensive of tuition. Hopefully I made a difference, but not enough. If I did nothing else, I hopefully got the students thinking. They'd all come from various parts of Europe, and it felt a bit Blue Peter-ish. However, I worked them very hard, and talked, and screened film, and tried to give as much as I could in so short a time. The weather was great and I managed to sneak a few hours at the Rudas spa, which is my idea of heaven. And I did chill and relax, but that was all undone but a truly horrific flight back to Manchester. An hour of Wagnerian turbulence. I tried to zone out but when the bins are opening and lights flickering and great groans of metal echo dow the plane, you just have to sit there and hope. Happily we all made it back, a little silent.

And then straight into work and coping with various festivals. Life is certainly busy,
Barry

Postby Barry » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:19 pm

August 20th 2012

I'm a bit giddy, guys, as I've jsut been on the roof, hoping to see the space station shoot overhead. The last few days has been a bit cloudy and no sign of it, but with a calm clear sky, I looked upwards at 21.18, and there it was. Very bright and very smart. Imagine the chaos it might have caused if this was Bethlehem. Apparently there were two astronauts walking at the time. Even my eagle eyes could not see them. But that was thrilling. The joys of having a high roof garden.

Actually it has been a good day, with the dubb session of two episodes of Toby that have turned out very well indeed. We've put so much vocal detail in them, that the characters really live. A few plot holes that we have to gloss over....oh to be able to write these episodes.But they are very funny and colourful. One episode had a lot of weather effects and Flix have done wonders. Very satisfactory - even more so after an episode last week that wasn't the best and left me feeling a bit inadequate. Not what I want with the shadows of Paranorman and Frankenweenie already making me feeling second rate. But as I know from Sherlock Holmes earlier this year you can, to some extent, tart up a dull script, but..... anyway todays episodes have clearly redressed the balance. Shame these two are not the first to go out. There's one shot of the clown that makes me laugh every time...where a flash of lightning startles him, and it seems so spontaneous and unexpected. It isn't of course. But it also shows one of the great joys of stop motion - puppets reacting to the physical space they exist in. Actually I lie about sherlock Holmes; we threw everything at it, and it was still a stinker of a play. And it depressed me for months afterwards. We did a great production but still the play did not live.

we had a good voice recording last week, with the actors on fine from. These sessions take it out of me as I think to think of all the little unexpected extras that make the characters surprising and alive. Also the curse of the mobile phone makes things more difficult than it need be. I do enjoy these epic sessions but I fret that if I don't keep the pressure up and keep focussed we won't get it all done.

Talking of fretting - did I really need t be keeping myself awake at four this morning worrying about whether you would feel the blade of the guillotine as it made impact. Barry, go to sleep!!!!
Barry

PreviousNext

Return to Diary 2012