Diary 2013

Re: Diary 2013

Postby Barry » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:20 am

Saturday 19th October 2013

The first full week without any involvement with Toby which has been a little sad. I have the dub for the final three episodes next week and then that is that. A big hole left by the circus.

Other than that I can't really say what I have been up to this week other than I feel privileged to have directed a workshop with a spectacular group of people, from a related profession, all absolutely brilliant. An exciting, exhilarating few days. Even if my involvement stops there, it's been good, mighty good.

But what an action packed this has been - a lifetime achievement award, a very moving memorial service, the end of a series, an exciting workshop, a radio programme, a few good theatre trips, being on the cover of a magazine, and meeting some very exciting people.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Saturday 26th October 2013

Maybe I shouldn't write today as I am very much suffering post show blues. Yesterday we did the last three dubs for Toby, and with a quick glass of something sparkly and a slice of cake, that's it gone. The circus well and truly move out of town but it has been a splendid two years. We have grown enormously since the first episode that must look so thin now. Our last episodes, well I have thrown everything at them and they are pretty lavish. In episode ne we were somewhat tentative with the use of sound, but our sound guys have come up with a wonderful lexicon of colours and effects that are perfect, like Freddo's left shoe squeak. I'd love to go back and revisit the early episodes, and likewise, if there is a second series (and who knows where any of us will be by then) I'd love the chance to hone the series, pushing the elements that did work, and finessing the weaker elements. A circus is right up m street, and the animators did so well walking on hire wires, swinging from trapezes, being fired out of cannons, and bringing some amazing characters to life. I'd love the chance to get the next series even better. But suddenly all those characters who have been in my head have gone. I do feel somewhat down, and the next month is full of talks and events making my next few weeks very bitty and full of organising. I shall look forward to getting my teeth in something where I can contribute.
But well done to the Toby crew.....I think we can afford to be a little pleased with ourselves. We did well.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:35 pm

Sunday 3rd November 2013

And the first week without Toby, though the series seems to have won an award at a Chinese film festival, for best series. It's a little hard to understand the website, but that's good to think Toby is appreciated over there. I hope that translates into something soon.

So a new start this week. we have moved out of our office, which had seen some joyously mad times over the last couple of years. A montage of our activities there would make an interesting film. Parrots, hats, outfits, carry on humour, swords, dogs, press-ups, chair races, biscuits galore and much witty banter. it's been fun. The new office is functional to say the least, but we have a lot to get our teeth into. A big meeting went well, though I was nervous as I had to rush away and do a talk at an animation event back in Manchester. Touch and go as to whether I wouldmake it but all turned out well. After a screening of several showreels from North West based animation companies, I did a chat with Wes. I think I was probably too passionate. Maybe this audience wanted to know about how to get funding, perhaps, but I was a bit g ddy an went off n one about collaboration and trying to get animation spokne of in the same breath as theatre, film, opera, ballet - a losing battle there I fear. I suspect I as full of naïve enthusiasm, but actually you need that enthusiasm before you start getting producers and funding involved. Several people have been in touch as a result. I di have a gentle dig at a big arts company in Manchester who did not acknowledge a long letter I wrote after a stunning performance. I was suggesting some sort of collaboration. No response is rude and unforgiveable I'm afraid. And arrogant.

This month is pure madness - talks and workshops in Norwich, Bradford, Bristol, Brazil and London and a few shows, and trying to get a new series up and running. And maybe a new book - a biggie. Poor Monty - he does get a lot of attention when I am there. Shame I can't put him in the car with me.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:08 pm

Sunday 17th November 2013
I have to confess that this foggy morning I am somewhat pooped! I've had two weeks of non stop extra curricular activity and talks and dos, and boy have I talked. Little left today, but there's still another two weeks before it quietens a bit, but then there's the pressure of Christmas. Anyway, there's been a talk at media city, the long day at the Norwich puppet theatre, judging several doze films for BAFTA, the wonderful Mackinnon and Saunders twentieth anniversary party, the documentary at Bradford, and then my talk with Adam Elliot, and then the awards ceremony last night. All meant being on fine form, as well as much dressing up. A couple of days respite, then I have two long day trip this week before heading to Brazil on sunday. It's all good fun and exhilarating but it takes some preparation and needs much serious swimming to calm me down.
I also managed to take in several theatre productions - two were absolutely dazzling reinventions of well worn classics, breathing amazing fresh life into the over familiar. The third was a classic but was played so straight, without an discernible directorial input or any design interpretation - it still worked thanks to some spirited performances and the play itself, but it could have been a radio play. All this led me to seriously question what the role of a director and a designer is. Some plays do work without in but crikey when a director can take a play and with the design, illuminate new aspects, and making it alive and resonant and relevant, the results can make one glad to be alive! Otherwise the smell of potential unrealised (or is that mothballs) pervades the theatre. Sure, an audience can enjoy things as straight as this, but crikey they could go out exhilarated. Sadly this left me feeling that this great play looked a little sleight.
And work, well we have moved office and are now in a rather formal situation, but it is the calm before the storm.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:01 pm

November 23rd 2013

All a bit rushed, but see you in Recife, Brazil, guys at the stop Motion Festival.........all packed and ready to go.
Barry

Postby Barry » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:20 pm

November 30th 2013
I've written about the wonderful festival in brazil in the discussion page, but oh what a month. Along with getting a new series going, I've done talks at the Bradford Fesival, Brasil, Bristol, Norwich, the BBC, as well as the M&S celebrations. I shall look forward to just getting o with things, and to putting the suitcase away for a moment, and for being a good father to Monty. I've definitely overdone it this month and am truly pooped, but inspired.
Barry

Postby Barry » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:00 pm

December the 18th 2013

Ah the lack of entries shows just how busy it has been. Off the plane from brazil and almost straight into work, which saw us moving studios and starting the new series which has not only just involved us getting rid of our circus heads and changing gear into a very different artistic world, but also facing a vertical learning curve thanks to a potentially amazing technical programme - it will help us and make things so easy but sometimes we have been ready to throw things out of the window. it has been however, an amazing achievement from those who turned the rather chaotic studio into a wonderful new practical space. And I have been trying to think about the new book....

And Christmas....well pushed to one side at the moment.
Barry

Postby Barry » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:57 pm

December 31st 2013

And so that's it. A good solid year; I'm not sure exactly how creative or productive I have been but I helped make probably 26 ten minute episodes of Toby, started a new series, wrote a book, gave talks and workshops in London, Wolverhampton, Manchester, St Albans, several in Stuttgart, a few at the NFTS, the lake District, Bradford, Bournemouth, Norwich, and most recently Brazil, did a few days on a big top secret project, did Twelfth Night on the roof, caught up with a lot of theatre and film, was on numerous big awards juries, had a year away from the Garrick........and yet it does seem a rather thin, safe year, on reflection. Maybe because I can't really stand up and say 'yes that was mine'. I need a 'wow' moment. I await exciting new and demanding projects that I really can contribute to, and push myself and those around me to considerable heights.

I wish you all a tremendous, creative and productive year. Over and out.
Barry

Previous

Return to Diary 2103