FEBRUARY 2014

FEBRUARY 2014

Postby Barry » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:38 am

February 8th 2014

I'm not sure I could have squeezed any more into the week if I tried. A busy, hectic, numbering crunching week of precision on the TV series - sometimes made easier by technology and sometimes definitely not. But great results that makes us laugh at the sheer charming bonkersness of it all. Squeezed in around work was a hard speed awareness course, and then a trip to London to the Broadcast Awards. Very exciting to be there - sadly Toby lost out to Rastamouse, but it was an amazing night, and the venue being full of 1500 media types and a lot of wine, it was both classy and brassy. There seems to be an unspoken rule that the bigger the cleavage the less fabric becomes involved, until it becomes a mechanical impossibility. But alcohol flowed and well known faces tottered and teetered. Happy to chat to many people in the profession....at the photo booth a passing gent and I gabbed some hats, and the four photos are some of the best I've had done. Who was he - I have no idea, but a great set of photos. One rather glitzy lady clearly wearing champagne goggles did a big U-turn on seeing me, and then rather flirtily told me how much she had enjoyed me in The Princess Bride and Homeland. I had to disappoint her that I was not actually Mandy Patinkin. But a good evening, and I was full of admiration for the staff who managed to serve 1500 hot delicious meals whilst coping with such loud media guys - and Xander Armstrong held the awards together brilliantly, and naughtily, ignoring all the noise and chaos. Very swift sharp awards. All done with such charm,
And on top of this I have started rehearsing for Hitchcock Blonde in the Luareston studio at the Garrick - being a studio production the main theatre sneer at us and don't offer much support of commitment, but we have had a good few evenings. It terrifies me in how little time we have to pull together amazingly complex shows. But one scene, a shocking scene, leapt off the page fully formed thanks to a performer who had done their homework. Darn it's good to be flirting with Hitchcock.
Yep quite a week - but no culture seen since the dazzling Prince of the Pagodas last Saturday. I missed a screening of Private Lives with Toby Stephens and Anna Chancellor. drat.
Barry

Re: FEBRUARY 2014

Postby Barry » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:15 pm

Saturday 22nd February 2014

Crikey guys, it's been a rush, and I've had very little time to myself. The tv series and some travelling with that has taken much energy (and technology drains me a bit, but I do feel triumphant when that goes well), I'm trying to find time to read the proofs for the new book, trying to rehearse Hitchcock Blonde (which is very dark and intense and nasty), trying t read several long scripts that have been sent to me, trying to keep p with requests from students, colleges, and trying to keep my head above water - almost quite literally in this terrible two weeks of weather.

The highlight of the weeks has been seeing The Penguin Café last night - oh joy. Reading in the programme that they are developing film and stage work. Depression - that I am not involved with that. A letter I feel might be written. They were on fine form last night, but as usual I do resent sharing them, they mean so much to me.
Barry

Return to Diary 2014