APRIL 2014

APRIL 2014

Postby Barry » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:25 pm

Rome/IED/Romics

I had a rather bizarre and wonderful first weekend in April over in Rome. I'm sure there are direct flights from Manchester but for some reason I went via Zurich, and that was tight, very tight. No-one to meet me in Rome but taking the train in and finding the hotel was something of an adventure. The hotel was almost in the shadow of a certain Colosseum and it's scaffolding. A taxi and I was off to the IED, a large school of design. a foyer full of great photos and a wonderful welcome from Chiara, Max and Antonio. and so I did a talk, on the theme of Less is More - a packed hall and all absolutely focussed and concentrating on every word and every frame. I had a lovely interpreter and we chatted for over two hours - a sea of listening faces. I think it all went well, and then supper afterwards in a lovely backstreet, with great company and great food. A good first night in Rome, a city that somehow had escaped me. Looking on the map, though, it was not where I thought it was, so may be that's why it escaped me.

The next morning I missed breakfast but headed straight down to the Colosseum, and had a photo taken with one of man of the gladiators lurking, ready to pounce. The long queue to the amphitheatre tested my patience and I was ready o give up, but I was in, and my jaw was on the floor, silently trying to take it all in and realise exactly what I was standing in. No time to linger or take in the other sights as I was off in a taxi to a huge conference centre way outside the city for Romics. now I'm new to comics conventions but I certainly was not prepared for this. A huge space crammed with stalls and thousands of people parading around indulging in Cosplay......some people had made a real effort - lots of Batmans, Game of Thrones, Japanese Anime characters,Jokers, and some buff chaps from 300. I was happy to see Mary Poppins and the Banks' children there, and a very spooky girl who just lurked looking very dead. The volume n the space was deafening and my heart sank knowing that I had to do a talk infront of all these people, all milling around, sampling this, sampling that. Still it all went well, and I had lots of people coming up to ask questions. There was a gallery of many of my photographs. I was pretty exhausted after all this and did it all again in the morning where I was awarded, in another huge hangar, the Romics d'ora - a very prestigious award, but crieky it was a race from there to the airport, and then there I was back in Manchester and ready for a full on week at work, my head swimming. Was I really there. Pretty pooped but excited, and fired up about getting my own feature going. It's a shame I had not taken DVDs to sell or books. And yes of course I managed one gelato and one pizza......both the best.
Barry

Re: APRIL 2014

Postby Barry » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:49 pm

Friday 25th April 2014

Rome seems a long time ago, but I'm still getting most pleasing feedback from the talks I did there. It was a good couple of days, and I was wondering where next, and well the answer is both Tel-Aviv and Lodz in Poland - both places new to me, and very different. I shall look forward to those trips.

I've had a few scripts to read which has taken up some evenings, but at work it's been full on and steady. We're in our stride and beavering away. To allay any mid-term blues we had a night bowling which was pretty hysterical. I managed three strikes but was pretty rubbish actually.
Barry

Return to Diary 2014