June 2014

June 2014

Postby Barry » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:15 pm

June 6th 2014

Well that's been some three weeks. A couple of trips to Stratford were fine, but oh crikey those motorways take the fun out of it. But it's all pretty full on at work. We've still got many months filming but we are now just starting to work on the last few episodes. That's an odd feeling. actually, for some reason there's masses of Toby's travelling Circus presence on facebook this week. Lots of photos of the lovely Dolores. I wonder if the series will come back.
Away from work I have been ridiculously busy on many many projects - designing a big musical and writing a feature script. That certainly sees me working at the desk after midnight and my eyes struggling to stay awake. But I'm enjoying these projects. The musical sees me going in a very unusual direction but it's looking striking. I usually end up with perpetual symmetry but for once I've gone very asymetrical, and it looks good. In the shadows of all the amazing trailers for Box trolls, it is daunting to be writing an animated feature, but I'm trying to do something very different. A feature is such a huge task. The exciting problem is being able to stand back and see the whole piece clearly.
It all got a bit international this week as well, with talks to South Africa, Moscow, Poland, Switzerland, France, and Israel.
Yep, things are good, if hectic. There are certainly not many free seconds in a day. Lots of students to chat to at this time of year, lots of showreels, and a few festivals to get organised for. sadly not Annecy. Have a good time at Annecy guys. I think it was seven years since I was president of the jury. And what a week that was.
Barry

Re: June 2014

Postby Barry » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:44 am

June 21st 2014

The longest day, and it has been a pretty long week, with a few distractions away from working, mainly an assault in the high street that somewhat rattled me. A few bruises, but more the lingering thoughts of what could have happened, and how angry I would have been had the bastard taken the money on me. But it could have been a lot worse. But then I started thinking of that man's day, and the plotting he must have done, down to what he was wearing, and the aftermath of what he felt when he had to run empty handed through the streets, hopefully bruised too. Though I was flat on my back with a trouser leg missing, I can't help feeling it wasn't me who had lost my dignity. I did nearly lose that dignity with the parking police who issued me with a parking ticket whilst I had been delayed with the police. I appealed and they still said I would have to pay unless I could produce evidence. I would have thought a policewoman's crime report number was evidence enough. To get the written statement would take forty days, outside the time to pay the fine. Quite matter of factly I announced I was not paying, and dear police person, please phone the parking department. End of story, I hope. Ridiculous. I did have a good follow up call from victim support. Interestingly, there was some good CCTV footage from two angles, an even under those circumstances I was looking at whether they made a good cut. I was editing in my mind. Should this go to court, they had better be quick before the story n my head gets a little embellished......I do tend to embroider the truth. It is still the truth but more so.
Work has been constant but a lot of it. The feature film I am getting my teeth round is taken shape, but I want to be able o spend a good few solid days on it.
And I have seen some great student films recently, notably the wonderful Consumption and My Stuffed Granny. I'll see if I can find a link to images.
Glorious weather has made being inside in a hot studio hard, but I'm not going to complain about that.
Sadly I had to turn down going to a very significant festival in Japan as it clashed with my trip to Tel-Aviv. Shame.
Barry

Re: June 2014

Postby Barry » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:35 pm

June 28th 2014
A few rather arduous trips down the M6 for meetings this month. The meetings are fine, the motorways are not.
There seems to be a lot bubbling under the surface at the moment, and the next year could either be the busiest year of my life or the quietest. watch this space. Whatever things are busy and my head so full of images and details that I can't pretend sleep is easy to come by. But it is good that Manchester is so full of animation things and we are going to struggle to find appropriate crew soon I think. A great situation to find ourselves in. No sign of me being put out to pasture just yet, even though next week I enter my 60th year.
Barry

Return to Diary 2014