Purves Puppets

The area for animated discussion

Purves Puppets

Postby Barry » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:36 pm

Rather confusingly, I am doing a couple of talks at the Purves Puppets up in Biggar in a few weeks. A gorgeous venue. Please come along.

http://www.biggar-little-festival.com/p ... rry-purves
Barry

Re: Purves Puppets

Postby Barry » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:13 pm

October 21st 2012

I'm just back from an absolutely splendid 24 hours in Scotland, in Biggar, at the Purves Puppet Theatre. I did two talks as part of the Biggar festival, and I loved every second of it. The theatre is run by Jill, Ian and Victoria Purves, and various friends and relatives, and a more welcoming, generous group of people you will not meet. The auditorium is a joy in itself. A beautiful Pollocks toy theatre style, with footlights, and boxes decorated with harlequins and Punch and Judy's. Dominating the whole auditorium is a huge mural painted by Ian himself, hinting at all manner of russian folk tales. The detail is breath taking, and a combination of relief and jewels embedded into the painting make for a glorious tactile experience.
But here are this wonderful family, putting on amazing puppet shows. Please if you are ever passing up the M6 on the way to Edinborough, do call in and see a show and have a delicious cake, and a great show.
I did two shows, one of my more adult films, and one of my childrens series. Both went down very well. I had a few puppets with me and of course these were much loved. I screened a Wind in the Willows episode, and apart from a very gentle pacing, it still stood up well. Unsurpassed sets and costumes, and I had been quite ambitious with camera moves and such. Ah, camera moves. Sadly a thing of the past with the schedules.
But this was an excellent diversion, driving up through the Lakes in glorious sunshine.
Barry

Return to Discussion