Stuttgart

The area for animated discussion

Stuttgart

Postby Barry » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Hopefully see some of you this week at the Stuttgart International Festival of Animation - always a goodone, and this week I will certainly be earning my keep.
Barry

Re: Stuttgart

Postby Barry » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:15 pm

April 30th 2013

How to do justice to six full on, glorious days at the stuttgart International festival. I did indeed earn my keep, being on the Jury for the International Short Films as well as doing five screenings of my own - I had barely a few hours to myself during the whole timne, and still managed to miss a lot of screenings, and only grab the briefest of time with various people. But so much to enjoy - the huge outdoor screenings, the cafe where everyone lingered, the hotel breaksfast where everyone also seemingly lingered, the lively discussions of the jury, the surprising comments from passers by, my own screenings, and fellow animators. Great to see so many friends, and new ones, and I did feel a little out of my depth in such company, but then I always do. It would be god to think some of these conversations and offers would actually lead to work. My favourite stop motion films screened would have to be Sleight of Hand, the monumental Bydlo, and the simply sublime Oh Willy, that we gave the grand Prix. It is hard to ignore the huge succss of this last film, but when is all said and done, it was the best film at the festival. And then there was David's tuba, Micheal C's kindness, my last talk given in nothing but a bath robe whilst I clutched Yorick's skull and moved some of the audience to tears, early morning screenings in an empty cinema, new friends from India, from Chile, from Belgium , from Australia, from all over the place, the generosity of the organisers, the support and enthusiasm of the crew, and well it couldn't be faulted. Great to be back again, and one of the cinema managers had two polaroids of me on the last two visits, looking considerably slimmer. A joyous, hard working, reflective few days.....i'm saddened at the state of my films next to crisp digital images, and will endeavour to do something about that. And as for being mentioned int he same breath as Trnka and Kawamoto - good job I only believe the negative comments.
But thank you Stuttgart.
Barry

Return to Discussion