Mirror Mask

The area for animated discussion

apple purchasing Disney

Postby chrlane » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:36 pm

Well apparently I am being ignored here, but that never stopped me before…

I am not sure the Pixar/Disney thing is purely a business acquisition. I have the feeling it is more political than anything, to be honest.

Nice try, though. rotfl! :P
chrlane

no.....

Postby Barry » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:28 pm

no, no-one's ignoring you at all. don't worry. I'll join in with this when I finally get to see Mirror mask. Not sure when though as I think it has already disappeared.
Barry

thanks Barry

Postby chrlane » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:30 pm

I have been reading Cages recently, and I am very much enjoying it.
There are a few of the pages up here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1561633194/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-2131094-4632848#reader-page

It is evocative. And it is HUGE, and heavy. Not the sort of book to read in bed…
chrlane

Postby chopkins » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:29 pm

I have been reading Cages recently, and I am very much enjoying it.
There are a few of the pages up here:

Wow! Amazing stuff.... going to have to try and get hold of that at weekend. I'm really busy at the moment and I'm a bit out of touch with Mckeans new work (well other than Mirror Mask that is) so your link is most appreciated. Cheers.

I love the page of the full moon and the cat walking past it, it gives me goose bumps...a very powerfull image. I like.

Well, personally, I think you've got it just a little backwards. The new guys taking over DISNEY's animation arm, are the PIXAR folks, not the other way 'round. Catmull and

Well thats a relief, I guess. They certainly need an over haul at Disney animation what with there appauling feature record of the past, ooooh! eight years, ten? ( personally I thought they went down hill after Aladdin)

I like Pixar. I respect them a lot....there setting the bar for everyone in the commercial industry, it pains me to see cheap imitations and one gag movies like what Dreamworks churns out! (there stuff is so embarasing!)

Hmmm! I am interested to see how this Disney Pixar deal goes, and I hope there will be a return to form at Disney and a continuing of fresh ideas from the Pixar bunch. At least now if the make a sequel to the incredibals its in the right hands.

I am not sure the Pixar/Disney thing is purely a business acquisition. I have the feeling it is more political than anything, to be honest

In what way? Can you expand on this for me?

Cheers.

Later every one.
chopkins

Pixar Aquisition

Postby chrlane » Sat May 13, 2006 6:59 am

It has been my impression that the inner political workings at Disney are calculated to block any encroachment of third party studios on the Disney market. They are scrounging for material, having literally drowned out their own gene pool with all the theft, overseas contracting and swiping going on in the company these days, and this merger was done as a protective measure. They have been so concerned about being replaced that they have been killing their most successful production teams for fear of these teams going independant and replacing them. Disney management sees extraordinaty talent not as a resource, but as a threat, and so they elect to stomp out any real creative fire before it "catches" so to speak. They percieve people like myself, who would have liked to work with them, and who have significant proposals to make, as threats rather than as potential allies. But in the end, this will be their demise. And the clumsier and more dishonest they get, the harder and faster they'll fall.

There was somewhat of an adversarial climate publicised between Apple and Disney, but there was actually a strong comraderie all along, and I believe the move was calculated to strengthen the financial impact of both companies. They are more or less good cop/bad copping us all into buying some scheme they cooked up to divert us from their aims, which are, of course, to sell their products, and please their share holders at the expense of their talent.

The whole "save 2-D" thing is nothing more than a carrot on a stick to maintain a false controversy, and keep artist's hopes up while milking them of their last few drops of blood. After all, artists are nothing but a commodity to these people. We are sub-human-- drones meant simply for exploitation. 2-D never really died. It just got shelved because the 3-D work is higher profile for Apple, and, for a while, it was fun to toy with all the artists whose livelihood depended on it. Don't think for a second that Pixar gives a damn any more than Disney does. It's all about the money.

Would I like to be proven wrong? Of course I would. My faith in humanity has been significantly lessened after dealing with the men who run these two companies. But to prove me wrong, they would have to start treating me right. I shouldn't have to threaten legal action to expect them to behave with common decency. I do not buy the half-baked "might is right" garbage they tried to feed me. And make no mistake-- they are online, greedily snooping around among us. Disregarding our privacy-- stealing our intellectual property. And the disregard they continue to show towards children, artists and the general public, is nothing short of criminal. Walt would surely turn in his grave if he knew half of what has been transpiring in his name. And yes, Walt is dead, and so is his vision. He died a long, long time ago.
chrlane

Postby chopkins » Sun May 14, 2006 12:26 pm

sorry, we've just edited this post
chopkins

:)

Postby chrlane » Mon May 15, 2006 3:19 pm

I appreciate the reassuring words, Chaz. I haven't given up on anything, really. Just frustrated with the fact that the only union for us in the "big leagues" seems to be asleep or something. I use Disney as an example because they have been trend-setters and so long as they are setting this sick example, we'll continue to see idiots lining up to milk the creatives in this business. The people who make the magic happen. I love you all so much and I just want to see people be o.k., and have some kind of security in old age, and some kind of respect granted from those who capitalize from our labors.
chrlane

Postby JImbobbedyjobob » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:18 pm

WHy oh why do you torture me so metioning the word Henson!? I weep into my cheese and chutney sandwiches at the very thought of being allowed whittling beasties for them!
ALAS ALACK (etc)
JImbobbedyjobob

Postby kli » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:00 pm

Found an article on the effect that Catmull's already having on Disney's animation department. To quote from the article:
"Sometimes, it's the leadership that's blocking something," Catmull said. "I've always believed that you shape the management team around the talent rather than try to force people into a certain way of doing it."

"It's like somebody opened the windows and fresh air is coming into the room," said Glen Keane, has put in 32 years at Disney and is set to direct the upcoming computer-animated film "Rapunzel."

Chris Sanders, director of Disney's "Lilo & Stitch," agreed: "It's like the Berlin Wall being torn down."

Catmull has already radically altered how animated movies are born, nourished and produced in Burbank.

He has halted the practice of executives yanking back movies from directors at various stages of production and making changes as they see fit.

Catmull believes filmmakers should have "complete ownership" of their movies from beginning to end. He's empowered the production teams to set their own schedules, manage budgets and control all other aspects of the filmmaking process. He's entrusted them to solve their own problems.

"They're not passing them by me," he said.

Directors no longer get mandatory notes on their films from three levels of executives. Instead, they get feedback from their peers at Disney and Pixar. Directors describe it as a refreshing free-for-all of ideas and uncensored opinions.

"Ed's been the catalyst for new times around here," Hahn said. "It's a team sport that I haven't seen in a long, long time. This is a cultural change." ...
The news sounds good, and my fingers are crossed.
kli

Postby chrlane » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:43 pm

"Ed's been the catalyst for new times around here," Hahn said. "It's a team sport that I haven't seen in a long, long time. This is a cultural change." ...

Camera pans back to reveal hand holding pistol to the rear of Hahn's head… :shock:
chrlane

Postby chopkins » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:18 pm

chopkins

Postby Barry » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:15 pm

well done Charlie....more importantly, I'm glad you are enjoying working where you are at the moment. It's certainly interesting times there. But as you suggest, finding creativity, however small, is an important key. Hang onto it.
Barry

bizarrely

Postby Barry » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:16 pm

yes rather bizarrely, this Mirror Mask topic has had more people looking at it, considerably more, than any of the other topics. Still haven't seen it, and am feeling a little luke warm about it, but I will catch up.
Barry

Postby chopkins » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:07 pm

hmmmm.....I guess it has been a place to air some oppinions and heated discussions....but without it, where would we be now, or I should say, where would I be now. Its been an education to be sure....lets not stop learning, eh.
chopkins

Previous

Return to Discussion