The wonderfull work of studio Ghibli: Howl's Moving Castle

The area for animated discussion

The wonderfull work of studio Ghibli: Howl's Moving Castle

Postby chopkins » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:49 pm

I've been a fan of Japanese animation for a long time now, and to bye these dvd's are a luxury I allow myself once in a while, I love their unexplained worlds bizzare creatures and wonderfull stories, how ever strange they are.
Yesturday I got Howl's Moving Castle, a film I have been eagerly anticipating for a long time now....I've been hooked on studio Ghibli films and the work of Hayao Mitazaki since princess Mononoke....my god its wonderfull stuff!

If you havn't seen any of these films I fully recomened them to anyone who loves beutifull animation and great story telling, their work remains intriguing and unpredictable through out.....
Howl's Moving Castle follows this tradition, its just full of rich characterisasion and inventiveness ( can't wait to read the book) and far better than that Harry Potter gubbins! I can not rave about this enough....
If you have seen Spirited Away then you will know what I mean.....Its about a girl with a curse, a vein wizard and a wicked which amongst many other loverly characters and plot twists and turns, not only that its georgous to look at! you can watch this with the sound down.
see it, enjoy it and be taken in by the Ghibli collection....

If your a Potter fan, then check out Kiki's Delivries service, made long before Rowling written her books, and much in the vein of The Worst which series, this follows the adventures of a young which on a life changing journey.......also there is princess Mononoke, Spirted Away if you don't know about these, then where have you been.....and there is Graveyard of Fireflies, but be warned as well as being beutifull its heart wrenching, get the hankies out....
I am working my way through the lot, am addicted!
Wake up people of britain! This is film making at its best!
:D
chopkins

Postby chopkins » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:36 pm

So whilst I am on an animation rant may I recomend.....
Steamboy.
I bought this yesturday also. Its from the guys who made Akira which got me into anime, but I also got it because it involves Britains industrial revolution,( plus I saw a clip of it on the culture show some time ago.)
This is a bit of a pet subject for me, and i have to admit i am a bit of a patriot when it comes to Manchester and its its industrial past.....
So when i put steam boy on and it begins with MANCHESTER 1866, i was floared!
Not to say that swayes me in thinking this is a good film, but in actual fact this is an extrodinary film.....you have to see this even if your not an anime fan, its remarkable!

Its a pure fussion of east meats west, it has a indiana jones feel, in victorian england with pure japanese story.....its fun, exciting and uterly jaw dropping! I jest you not, it beats the crap out of any Holliwood interpritation, this has a linier/non liner story ( if one exists!) it builds and builds and has so many ideas in it that it leaves you wanting.....

I guess am guidy about this because it does have a lot of stuff in it i have been thinking about, and its all there....brilliant!
its a father and son film, its an action film, its a film about science, its film about right and wrong, but like all good japanese films its about the human spirit.....there is no good or evil, only human beings ( Issac Asimov)
see it please! let me know what you think.
my favorate moment was seeing Manchester victoria station in 1866, with the cathedral on the horizon...manchester doesn't get moments like that....i am now eager to find out about who reserarched this film! and why choose stevenson as a main character ( yeah, he won the steam race, but by default.)
It evokes british history, and injects fantasy and fore warns in retro spect about the 20th centurey, and i guess the 21st, its in anime tradition but this time VERY CLOSE TO HOME.....
see it, it looks gorgeous, the sountrack is exhilerating!
am inspired.....
M goodeness! Gotta go, work to do....
:lol:
chopkins

Re: The wonderfull work of studio Ghibli: Howl's Moving Cast

Postby kli » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:02 am

chopkins wrote:... Howl's Moving Castle follows this tradition, its just full of rich characterisasion and inventiveness ( can't wait to read the book) and far better than that Harry Potter gubbins! I can not rave about this enough....

Oddly, I'd read the book long before the movie came out. Diana Wynne Jones is one of the UK's treasures and was doing YA fantasy for decades before Rowling began writing. Howl's Moving Castle and its semi-sequel, Castle in the Air are two of her best (although my personal favorite is probably The Dark Lord of Derkholm which takes the mickey out of the entire genre of high fantasy in a beautifully droll manner). This was the only time I'd ever seen a Miyazaki film based on source material I was familiar with, so I had a weird split-sense of the story when I watched it.

Miyazaki threw out quite a few details of DWJ's story, so that you're left scratching your head a little about character motivations and assuming that it's just something that's lost in the tranlsation as per usual with anime. :) I do, however, desperately miss the fact that Howl/Howell's rotten temper is partially because he's Welsh. And I miss the Donne poem.

I think all in all, I preferred Spirited Away.

Oh, and you'll want to hunt up a pre-Ghibli film (and therefore absolutely no part of the Buena Vista release deal) of Miyazaki's: Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro. It's based upon an anime tv series that was in its turned based upon Monkey Punch's successful manga. The hero is a thief, the grandson of Arsene Lupin, who has two sidekicks: a mafia gangster and a traditional samurai warrior, with whom he goes on heists. I think it's Miyazaki's directorial debut in theatrical films, and all his hallmarks are already in place. I believe Spielberg's said that it has the best action sequence of any movie. I'd agree. It's also widely quoted throughout the world of anime--I nearly died laughing when I was watching an episode of Here is Greenwood, and the high school students were putting on a play--and it was the clock scene from Castle of Cagliostro.

And then, of course, there's Nausicaa. That's the one that captured me, and Miyazaki's first venture into a wholly original work authored by himself. The manga series is more complete in story and background than the film, and possibly more poweful in its antiwar pro-environment message, but I first saw the film in the '80s, unsubtitled, not knowing a word of Japanese, and I was drop-jawed and riveted through the entire film. Amazing stuff, indeed.

If you're a CRAZY completist fan :), then you'll also want to hunt out an out-of-print Region 3 Japanese DVD called Thank You, Mr. Lasseter which was essentially a home movie that Miyazaki's entourage made while they did the US promotional tour for Spirited Away and were hosted by John Lasseter. It's utterly charming.

...and there is Graveyard of Fireflies, but be warned as well as being beutifull its heart wrenching, get the hankies out....

Yup. Turns me into a sobbing mess every time, and I put it up emotionally as equivalent to Kurosawa's Ikiru. Reminiscent of the classic manga, Barefoot Gen, in recounting the horrors of WWII from a Japanese child's POV. But it's not Miyazaki, it's Takahata.

As enchanted as I am by Miyazaki, it's Isao Takahata who really gets me where I live. And unlike Miyazaki, he tends to have his films animated in a variety of drawing styles, from the more realistic to the completely cartoony. And his stories are more human and tragic, rather than fantastic. Pompoko, My Neighbors the Yamadas, and Only Yesterday (which I think Disney still hasn't gotten around to releasing on DVD in the US, but there's a UK release) are well worth finding and viewing. Takahata is also the reason that the Ghibli library sports a few live-action documentaries.

Here, the website you need to turn otaku ;) is nausicaa.net.
kli

Return to Discussion