The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello

The area for animated discussion

The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello

Postby kli » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:44 pm

So, Steve Jobs announces there are movies for sale on the iTunes Music Store, so of course, I end up buying an animated short for $2: the Australian, gothic, moody, dark short, "The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello."

Man, I don't think I've ever gotten a better bargain. From what I understand, the movie is CGI, but the look of the main character animation is reminiscent of lumage and silhouette animation from the '20s. And it's freaking gorgeous.

I assume I'm just behind everybody else, and you all knew about it when it came out last year, but I did just want to mention that I like the idea of being able to buy something like this as a $2 download. Let's hope this is a whole new untapped market for animated shorts.
kli

gorgeous

Postby Barry » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:50 pm

hi, and that sounds absolutely beautiful and right up my street. I'll defintiely look out for that one. Thanks for posting about it.
Welcome back by the way.
B
Barry

Postby kli » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:02 am

I just love that there's a board here where I can post this kind of thing. And I didn't go anywhere, I was just being quiet :), but thanks for the welcome back.

I think what struck me the most about the short film (it's 25 minutes), is how reminiscent it was of an old silent animated film I'd seen on TMC: The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926). But given the CGI, in addition to the shadow-puppet feel, there's playing with transparency and photographic images as well, so there's this feel of lumage as well as the silhouettes. I've only ever seen one feature film done in lumage--Twice Upon a Time. Has anybody other than Lucasfilm/Korty ever made a lumage feature film?
kli

Postby Jessica » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:33 pm

Hi kli!
Could you tell me what lumage mean? My English-German dictionary can't help on this.... I think its too special...

If you want to see more silhouette films from Lotte Reiniger you'll find them at http://www.absolutmedien.de. The people there reconstructed a lot of material for those dvds. There is one dvd on Prince Achmed with some shorts, one on tales and fairy-tales, one on Doctor Doolittle and some materials believed they were lost. I myself got the one about Price Achmed and its beautiful.
So I thank you for your tip about "The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello" - sounds if I would love it.
Jessica

Postby kli » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:04 am

Hi, Jessica. Lumage, as I understand it, is animation with tissue paper cutouts on a light table--similar to silhouettes, but the figures are translucent, and have light coming through them.
kli

Postby Jessica » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:35 am

Oh, thank you for your explanation! Lotte Reiniger (Prince Achmed) worked this way, too, I guess, especially for her backgrounds...
Jessica

Return to Discussion