Coraline

The area for animated discussion

Coraline

Postby kli » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:05 pm

Neil Gaiman has has just blogged that he's at Laika Studios to discuss the animated feature adaptation of his book, Coraline. Henry Selick's directing. (The Laika site also has a clip up from Moongirl). Thought some folks might be interested, especially since the Laika site says they're hiring. And Coraline is planned as stop-motion, not CG.
kli

coraline

Postby Barry » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:47 pm

yep a lot of people are already working hard on the feature and a lot are heading over to Portland shortly. We've lost some of the Rupert crew sadly......
Barry

Postby kli » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:26 am

Argh. That's too bad about losing Rupert crew. Hope you're not left too short-handed!

Sounds as if things are really jumping in Portland. I'm more than a little curious to see what they make of Coraline, given that it was originally illustrated with Dave McKean artwork. I somehow doubt they're going to visualize it along those lines. I really want to see what they're going to do with the Other Mother (hmmm. Just realized. Michelle Pfeiffer appears to be the go-to actress for Gaiman novel adaptations. She's also in Stardust).
kli

Postby kli » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:13 pm

So, looks like the Laika guys were too busy finishing up the flick to make it to Comic-Con, but they sent some of the puppets:

I'm a little curious, because as far as I can tell, they were made in-house at Laika, not by MacKinnon & Saunders. And I'm wondering what the seam across the eyes is for.
kli

Postby Kerry » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:00 pm

I was lucky enough to have a sneak around the sets, and the weeks rushes before it became a closed set. I have to say it was breathtaking, full of life, colour and I was unable to remove the smile from my face. I even did a little dance and the clapping of hands, much to everyone's amusement. It is going to be a real, REAL treat! Very much looking forward to seeing the final piece!
Kerry

Return to Discussion