Joseph Barbara....

The area for animated discussion

Joseph Barbara....

Postby chopkins » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:41 am

Joseph Barbara, of Hannah and Barbara died today at the grand old age of 95.

I pay tribute to a man who brought us great clasics such as the origonal Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones, and The Jetsons plus many many more :of which many of todays modern classics would never have existed.

Thanks.
chaz
:(
chopkins

Tom and Jerry

Postby Barry » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:53 am

yep, very sad, as what an output, and what a legacy. Of all the films it is Tom and Jerry that I shall remember, for the sheer energy, the inventiveness of the gruesome gags, but also for the joy of having an almost symphonic score written specifically for every episode. These films were perfect examples of the marriage of music and image. I can't believe that the films were plotted and animated with the scores in mind, but the scores never feel as if they are being squeezed into the existing film - they just flow and compliment the action so beautifully. Music should never be something just added on afterwards, but here they were integrated perfectly.
Barry

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:04 pm

Hi Barry and Chaz,
Truly a sad day, his animations played a big part of our childhood and his work is an inspiration to animators and those who work in animation. The early Tom and Gerry cartoons were and still are some of my favourite cartoons, with little or no dialogue ( I seem to remember the maid calling “Thomasâ€￾ occasionally) and as you point out Barry, beautify narrated with music.
Joe D.
Joe

Postby Jessica » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:16 pm

I sadly say goodbye - he attended my childhood with The Jetsons, The Flitntstones, Tom & Jerry (I still love them today)...
Thank xou for that, Mr Barbera!
Jessica

Postby kli » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:59 pm

Yeah, the MGM Tom-and-Jerry's were amazing. But it was the Hanna-Barberas I grew up with: Yogi Bear and Huckleberry Hound and The Jetsons and the voice of Daws Butler that I remember H-B for. Not to mention Johnny Quest. Big hole in the pantheon, now.

One of the better sites out there to read up on the legacy of Hanna-Barbera (and what it was like to be in the same room with Joe Barbera) is Mark Evanier's blog. In times like these, I turn to Evanier.
kli

Return to Discussion