Steven Pimlott

The area for animated discussion

Steven Pimlott

Postby Barry » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:57 am

15th February 2007
I'm sad to say that a good chum Steven Pimlott died last night at just 52. Steven sang in my Gilbert and Sullivan film, and was a hugely talented all rounder. He directed some brilliant productions of theatre, musicals, Shakespeare, operas, epic concerts, many productions are still playing around the world today. His work was always very thought through, very exciting and imaginative, workign with wonderful designers and choreographers. When I phoned to ask him to sing in my Gilbert and sullivan film he was out playing second horn (or something) in the Witham amateur operatic production of the Pirates of Penzance, then he was off to some opera house or the Palladium to direct a huge show. I had been trying to speak to him for my book about the musical of Dr Doolittle that he directed. I remember him phoning up and asking if I had any ideas as to how to cut off Macbeth's head in a production of Verdi's Macbeth at, I think, La Scala. I'm flattered to get such phone calls. He did so many productions that linger in my head, but most especially a ravishing production of Carousel at the Royal Exchange.
Thank you Steven for some truly memorable shows, and thanks for such a spirited performance in my G and S film, and, well, just thanks. I'm sorry I never got to direct you in a live performance of G and S as we talked about. he so wanted to do the Lord Chancellor in Iolanthe, with Patricia Routledge as the Queen of the Fairies. What a show that would have been.
http://www.whatsonstage.com/index.php?p ... 1171535498
Barry

Return to Discussion