when animation was cool....

The area for animated discussion

when animation was cool....

Postby chopkins » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:17 am

I was looking in some old animation magazines at weekend from the 90's (i was a collecter once.) and I got that old feeling I once had, the feeling of animation once being cool! and then I thought, "what the hell happened"? did I grow old and loose interest? has my passion of animation in general been crushed by the industry? or am I just boared......???
When I looked in those magazines, I remembered getting excited reading Mike Judge's artical on Bevis and Butthead, on how he created the first cartoon soally for Spike n mikes Twisted Festival of animation....reading of how MTV commisssioned artists for there promos....of how indipendant animators like Paul Berry, Mr Purves and Bill Plimtom went out, and against all odds made films that had a voice.
I know we live in a day and age where, every man or woman can produce a film and post it on myspace or youtube.......but why do so many people I know, feel there are in a quagmire when it comes to making and producing films, at a time when it should be easy, it feels, oh !too hard......with so much at stake, with so much at risk, it seems impossible now to produce animation.......
Its always been hard, and I know we just have to get off our bums and do it, but at the moment, the industry overwhelmes , ......thats why I look to my old magazines, to the 90's, to when animation seemed to have a revalution of sorts?...there are a lot of people out there, with talent and imagination......and there is plenty of animation out there on the tinterweb, but lets create subustance, lets not fall for one joke cartoons, throw aways.......
there is a brothers quay, or a svankmajer in all of us.....lets push the boundries.....
by the by watch harvey crumpet and trinka....and old "fourmations vids" they'll get the juice's flowwin!
:D
chopkins

Re: when animation was cool....

Postby offtheshelf » Tue May 29, 2007 3:51 pm

[quote="chopkins"]....of how indipendant animators like Paul Berry, Mr Purves and Bill Plimtom went out, and against all odds made films that had a voice."[/quote]

That would be very interesting to read those Articles...And Don't give up Chopkins go and Make a Film!
offtheshelf

Return to Discussion