War Horse

The area for animated discussion

War Horse

Postby Barry » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:40 pm

http://www.whatsonstage.com/index.php?p ... Adaptation

oh have a look at this very short clip from War Horse that opened at the national theatre last night, and weep. I have a feelign that these puppets will puppets the puppets of The Lion King to shame. Can those horses really be just men. darn I love it when such theatrical puppets convince and move. I'm seeing the touring verion of Doctor Dolittle in a few weeks and they certainly have a huge amount of puppets but they are all very literal and quasi realistic and their horses are stuck behind gates and hedges. Here at the National they are running round the stage and acting gloriously. Darn - puppets are good. I've got my own tale I'd like to do, if anyone out there is listening.
Barry

More about Joey

Postby Barry » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:06 pm

Darn, I'm upset with the timing of this production as I would have loved to have incorporated a section about the horse puppets in the book, as they seem to embody absolutely everything I have been struggling to write about; that something so clearly artificial (the operators are deliberatley obvious) can be so profoundly moving and deal with very deep issues. It is this artifice that can make things more direct. Apparently some scenes with the horses are leaving the audiences in shock. I must try to get to see it, but of course it is pretty much sold out. Who would have thought puppets could have people weeping and gasping in horror. I would and always have. In the book I do talk about similar moments, such as with Shockheaded Peter and to some extent The Lion King, but crikey War Horse would have been good to write about. I'm so excited about this show that I'm breathless. This is what I'm really about I think. this is the answer. But how to be involved, and how to make people listen to other ideas. Such a shame that stop motion animators don't have the crediblity to open doors in other arts.
Barry

yippee

Postby Barry » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:48 pm

have finally managed to get tickets to see the show in February. I'm indecently excited, but these horses are becoming an obsession. I'm even dreaming about them. People performing animals.......works every time.
Barry

Postby Jessica » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:26 pm

I just had a look at the video, it really must be amazing. I like the martial style of the horses. I really thought "these poor animals..." But they also have the beauty and shape of real horses. I'm totally jeaulous on you being able to see that.

Barry, what is your animal tale you told about above?
Jessica

Return to Discussion