Flip Festival - Wolverhampton

The area for animated discussion

Flip Festival - Wolverhampton

Postby Barry » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:30 pm

If any of you are near Wolverhampton this week, I'd love to see you. I'm doing a talk there on saturday. the festival has a lot of real goodies, including an exhibition of puppets from Mackinnon Saunders, and a talk by one of their main guys, Nick Roberson. Also a talk from Jud Walton from Hot Animation. The theme of the festival is Stop Motion Forever.

www.flipfestival.co.uk
Barry

4th November 2007

Postby Barry » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:40 pm

Well the motorways conspired to make the day as difficult as possible, firstly with a clsoed M6 going down, and then thick thick fog aggravated by fireworks on the way home - but anyway the talk at Flip festival went well. I gather it had been a fun day, and certainly lots of people were gathered round the Mackinnon Saunders puppets. Nick Roberson and I had two horus on stage, and that time went so quickly, but we managed to show the Cossie Hall 30th year showreel, some Chorlton, a bit of Toad, Screen Play and the commercial based on it, the Dutch commercial, a bit of before and after Rupert, and Overtime. Chorlton and Toad got a huge response, and certainly it's hard to see how such films could be made again. Committee's and focus groups would squash them.
But we had a good time and the audience were enthusaistic and lots of good questions and chat afterwards. Though I didn't show it, Next still has a huge following. Pleasing but strange. A good evening all in all, and thank heavens for festivals like this where the audience get to see films that tV has abandoned.
Barry

Flip Festival

Postby Pablo69 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:45 am

Hi Barry,

Just like to say thanks to Barry, Nick, Jud, Chris and Flip for putting on such an enjoyable day! There was so much passion for animation in the room and it really does inspire young and upcoming animators! I feel like making a film in my livingroom now. I really enjoyed the Chorlton and the Wheelies and Toad! Screenplay and the advert, ha! Fantastic! And thanks to Nick for bringing the armatures from Mackinnon and Saunders. There where nice student films and shorts to see which was also nice to see! The day as a whole was amazing! Thanks.

Paul
Pablo69

great

Postby Barry » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi Paul, it was great that you could make it to wolverhampton. I enjoyed the day too. It's always good to share a passion. If you have the time, try to get up to Bradford next week, where there a four action packed days full of animators and animation - an overwhelming museum, and good food in the cafe.
Barry

Postby R Phelan » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:14 pm

Hi Barry,

I just wanted to say a big thanks for the talk you gave at the Flip festival! It was so great to see you and so much of your work and also to hear all the great advice you gave :)

I studied animation at Wolverhampton Uni a few years ago and travelled up from London to be there, it's nice to see how the festival has continued to grow bigger and better every year.

Lastly, I just wanted to ask.. What will your book be called and when will it be released? I'm looking forward to buying a copy!
R Phelan

book

Postby Barry » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:41 pm

Hi, and i'm glad you enjoyed Flip.
The book is called Stop Motion - Passion Process Performance and is on amazon.co.uk at the moemnt but is in the shops on December 1st
B
Barry

Return to Discussion