Ventriloquist advert for abuse

The area for animated discussion

Ventriloquist advert for abuse

Postby Barry » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:08 pm

Has anyone seen the highly effective commercial on TV at the moment using a hugely expressive ventriloquist puppet of a girl operated by her father. The sound of the father's voice coming out of the puppet's mouth, and the uncomfortable physical closeness of the father/puppeteer seem to visualise the suggestion of abuse very succinctly and sensitively. The catch line is ' abused children can't speak up. It's a great illustration of how effective puppets can be, though interestingly, in the book I talk about how puppets can get away with saying things that we can't - here they slightly reverse that. The eyes of the puppet are truly haunted.
Barry

Postby Kerry » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:51 pm

No I haven't seen this yet. But it sits nicely in my PhD research in asking if animation can carry messages of importance. Will keep my eyes peeled for this one. Very interesting. Thanks Baz x
Kerry

puppet

Postby Barry » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:37 pm

Hi Kerry, it's not an animated commercial as such, but the puppet is a very detailed uncomfortably realistic one. The commercial is for the NSPCC. Very effective indeed. I pity the actor playing the father as he is understatedly creepy and he is bound to get heckled in the street. I think the ad is called 'ventriloquist' and its by Saachi and Saachi - maybe it's on youtube.
Barry

Return to Discussion