The DVD - The intimate lives of BP

The area for animated discussion

The DVD - The intimate lives of BP

Postby Barry » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:31 pm

February 5th 2008
well I've had a joyously splendid day restoring the films with Laura from Flix, in preparation for the forthcoming DVD release of Next, Screen Play, Rigoletto, Achilles and Gilbert & Sullivan. Poor Next and Screen play had suffered over the years, and the only copies I had were getting very milky with dull colours and sound, but today we have been changing that, and Shakespeare is a man reborn, and he looks utterly fantastic. The gold is dazzling, and the reds leap off the screen, and the blacks you could get lost in. Likewise with the other films. It's been good fun revisiting these films, and I have enjoyed watching them. Of course there has been a tempattion to change things, but actually all we have done is cleaned them up (and removed the odd bit of fishing line or double sided tape that has annoyed me for nearly 19 years). And they do look crisp and most impressive. so frustrating though as I sat there watching how the films work, and all the tricks, and mise-en-scene and all that and thinking, ha, wish I could get going with something new. I'm ready and racing to go. There are going to be lots of extras on the DVD, and i hope it should be a very classy affair.
Barry

the sounds

Postby Barry » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:03 pm

Friday 8th February
And today simon Hall and I revisited the films trying to get more dynamics out of them. it is a shame jsut to be working with the existing mix, but even so Simon managed to brilliantly get rid of some noise and introduce much more dynamics into the soundtracks. If you have read the book you'll see that I was always a little disappointed that the soundtracks eventually had the score as background music, not full on in your face, which I feel opera should be. I think we have now managed to give the impression of the music being much more integrated. But oh dear watching these films, with every little tremble and twitch, is hard work, but then they work their charm, and they are big small films. Listening to Nigel Hess's fantastic scores and Verdi's and Sullivan's scores, they are so rich and spirited, and puts all else to shame. Oh to work with music of that calibre again.
I'm a bit confused about the visuals as I have seen the filsm on so many monitors that I'm not sure what is the real thing. I need to check on monday that we've nto gone too far. Such a shame though that we don't have the original material. But crikey both Laura and Simon have done wonders.
Barry

Postby only85 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:12 am

I don't suppose there is a way to pre order the DVD,
I have been looking for a good copy of NEXT for ages,

Also,, any thoughts on release date?
only85

DVD

Postby Barry » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:28 am

hi, and i have seen the first copies of the DVD and it really is a very classy and rich and very theatrical release. Some good extras and beautifully packaged. We are launching it in Annecy this year where I am on the jury, but have a look at www.potemkine.fr and details should be on there. Talking of Next, you'll be able to watch this with or without subtitles that reveal which each play is. The same with Gilbert and Sullivan.
Barry

Postby only85 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:49 pm

If only I read french!
I will have to find someone!

Thanks
Collin - USA
only85

hang on...

Postby Barry » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:46 am

hang on Colin, and I'll see what I can do about all that. They are workign like crazy to get it finished so I will ask them to make sure there is an english page as hopefully a few people will order it....watch this space
Barry
Barry

Postby only85 » Sat May 03, 2008 5:33 pm

For your info, and if others had the same problem
you can use google to translate the page

http://www.google.com/language_tools

just put in the page URL and choose which language to translate from -> to

works rather well,

look forward to the dvd! Thanks again for your time,
Collin
only85

the DVD

Postby Barry » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:59 am

http://www.potemkine.fr/catalogue_barry.php

Well the dVD is now out and available though not in the UK just yet. It's probably best to order it through the distributors' site. Any translation tool shoudl translate easily I hope. They have done an excellent job with the beautiful packaging and extras. It certainly sold very well in annecy last week.
Barry

Return to Discussion