Anthony Minghella

The area for animated discussion

Anthony Minghella

Postby Barry » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:17 pm

What a shock to hear of his death at just 54. He had a new film on tV this week, The No1 Ladies detective Agency. Apart from his oscar winning films a lot of us remember his Storyteller episodes for the Hensons. and he just did a Butterfly for ENO, with suggestions of Kabuki and using a puppet for Sorrow ( as discussed in my book). A very classy, lavish, detailed, and intelligent director. Such a shock. Didn't he start by sellign ice creams or something, on the Isle of wight. Mr Ripley was probably my favourite film from him, though I only watched Cold Mountain last week in Paris.
And of course he directed and wrote Truly Madly Deeply, which starred Michael Maloney who did the voice for Screen Play. Sorry that is a tenuous link, but I think everyone had admiration and respect for Minghella.
Barry

Postby kli » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:15 am

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency was wonderful. And I'm also saddened at the loss of such a talent--just when he decided it was ok to work for the BBC instead of Hollywood and write funny stuff again. (Sigh). We'll see if the series lives up to the high-water mark he set.

I think the first thing of his I ever saw was Truly Madly Deeply which I fell in love with and which I watch over and over on dvd (if only faintly exasperated that the entire commentary track is Minghella pointing out all the imperfections of the piece and lamenting the lack of budget on the project. He states at some point in there that he was probably paid more to do the commentary than he was to direct the film. :)).

I only saw the Henson muppet piece, Living With Dinosaurs years later on cable television. I remember watching it and thinking, "My god. It's a prequel/sequel" to TMD! Because it, too, starred Juliet Stevenson and Michael Maloney, only this time as a married couple with ten-year-old son. And, like all of his pieces, was tinged with that deep compassion and beauty of spirit.
kli

Postby kli » Sun May 04, 2008 5:17 pm

Don't know if this will interest anybody else, but BBC Radio 3 and Radio 4 are digging through the archives to do a Minghella tribute. I haven't found a master list, but so far, I've found:

5/3 - Saturday Play - Cigarettes and Chocolate
5/3 - With Great Pleasure interview, with readings by Juliet Stevenson and Alan Rickman.

5/10 - Radio 3 - Hang Up
5/10 - Saturday Play - Two Planks and a Passion
5/10 - Work in Progress (Radio3) two episodes done when Minghella was working on The Talented Mr. Ripley.
kli

Return to Discussion