Bagpuss and friends.

The area for animated discussion

Bagpuss and friends.

Postby Barry » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:02 pm

Hi, if anyone is down in Bristol at the watershed on sunday 27th July, in the afternoon, I am doing an event with the comedian/presenter Phil Jupitus about Smallfilms, and we will no doubt be talking about Bagpuss and The Clangers. There'll also be the archivist from Smallfilms so all manner of thigns will be revealed. Should be a fun afternoon. Hope to see some of you there.
B
Barry

bagpuss

Postby Barry » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:34 pm

Barry

splendid

Postby Barry » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:36 pm

Sunday 27th JUly 2008
It has been a rather crazy disorientating 24 hours. This time last night i was at an 18th birthday party getty tetchy over a game involving a film poster of Willie Wonka, that was not Charlie and the Chocolate factory - that says more about me than anything else. all good fun and the younger group had dressed up as musicals....a particulary fine Mary Poppins and Sweeney Todd.
But just a few hours later and I'm down in Bristol with Loaf (who's been responsible for releasing a lot of the films on DVD) and Phill Jupitus and a lot of familiar and friendly faces in the packed audience. And indeed it was a very warm and very splendid celebration of the work of Smallfilms. Between us we came up with a never ending stream of anecdotes and observations and some sheer lunacy. All very spirited, and yes they are extraordinary films. One thing is clear and that is how restricted we are today through merchandising, focus groups, and formulae. these films were so unfettered, and all the better for that. Joe and Ash were there and Dick Williams and Mo, and I met another Purves, Ed Purves, who is probably going to regret that name once he gets going as an animator.
Oh animation does bring out the best of people. We do love this mad career, and now I'm in a truly decadent loft suite in a very agreeable hotel in bristol. The place is ringing a lot of bells and I think I was last head with a head honcho from Warner Bros.
A great day, so thanks to Chris and his team for organising the event, and for the Watershed for great facilities and fantastic cider....much appreciated by Phill, myself and Loaf.
Barry

hmm....?

Postby Barry » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:15 pm

http://blog.gusset.co.uk/blogger.shtml

well spot the error here. That's a first for me. I have been confused for Peter Purves, and even nick Park, but not as here.
Barry

Return to Discussion