Classics Illustrated

The area for animated discussion

Classics Illustrated

Postby Barry » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:38 pm

Oh yippee! Thank you! I walked into the newsagent and a familiar type face set in a yellow box made me stop in my tracks. They are re-issuing all the Classics Illustrated. I consumed these versions of the great classics in my teens, mostly sat on a beach in Malta where we spent many summers, and where the comics were easily available. I'm afraid I loved these, and several comics led me to reading the novels themselves, and sometimes it went the other way. I don't know if the they are the same size as the original but the colours are certainly brighter and the paper more glossy, but oh I'm very pleased to see these. Issue no 1 - The War of The Worlds, then Oliver twist, Robin Hood, Man in the Iron Mask, Romeo and Juliet, Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Les Miserables, Jungle Book, Mutiny on the Bounty, Wuthering Heights, Knights of the round table, Jane Eyre, and so on. I know the graphic novel has got so much more sophisticated these days, but I'm certainly going to enjoy rereading these. Anyone else remember them?
Barry

Re: Classics Illustrated

Postby parliament_hill » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:30 pm

I don't recall these - instead I read the somewhat more garish Marvel Classics Comics in the 70s - see http://www.classicscentral.com/mcc1-4.htm for a taste of their supposedly highbrow fare! I guess it was an attempt to encourage superhero fans to look at "real" literature. I ended up doing an English degree, so perhaps it worked. I curse myself now for not carrying on with animation at college though...
parliament_hill

Return to Discussion