COSGROVE HALL

The area for animated discussion

COSGROVE HALL

Postby Barry » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:58 am

Well tomorrow, January 23rd 2008, Cosrove Hall as we know it, closes its doors for the last time. To have seen its decline over the last few years has been tragic, and I can't believe it's come to an end. It's almost 31 years since I walked in - very excited, rather naive but very excited. i suppose over that time I've been there for the equivalent of 14 years which is not bad. I never managed to get my own ideas made there, but I think I left a pretty large imprint.
So sad to see it go. It's rather appalling that this has happened.
Barry

Re: COSGROVE HALL

Postby Barry » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:09 pm

Actually I got that totally wrong. It is this friday that the building is vacated, empty of everything, definitely before its time, and it's reached this sorry state for many reasons, some of which could definitely have been avoided. A lot of people are gathering as a wake in the car park at 5.30 on friday to say goodbye. This really is the saddest thing, and I feel upset for Mark and Brian, especially over recent displays of lack of respect which takes my breath away, and for seeing something magnificent and groundbreaking that they set up dissolve into nothing. Fingers can be pointed but it is too late now.
Barry

Postby Barry » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:31 pm

January 30th 2009
So that's it. Cosgroge Hall has finally closed its doors, and with that the building, if rumours are to be believed, will shortly be bulldozed. I can't believe that, but who wants a huge empty film studio. A good hundred or so of us, with babies and dogs, gathered in the car park tonight, with Mark and Brian both a little tearful. The studios loomed behind us with not a light on, and with the current management conspicuously not present. All Cosgrove Hall sings ripped down. Faces from the long past and the more recent present all very pleased to have been part of something special, unique and very significant. I sent up a paper lantern with all our signatures on....ironically it headed over to Granada. No doubt they'll look at that blankly know what to do with that either. In the bin straight away.
But thanks Mark and Brian. i'm very pleased to have been part of all that. A big landmark in Manchester's cultural history is now exactly that. History. The only reason now to head to Chorlton is the dentist. Crikey, the book has to be written, not so much about the company and its politics as I fear that would be a huge whitewash, but a book about the films. I'd love to do that with Mark.
Farewell to so many characters from Jamie and his Magic Torch, grandma Bricks, Captain kremmen, Dangermouse, through Toad to Postman Pat and so many that I will try and list at a later date.
Barry

Postby Barry » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:18 pm

I as just looking at a filmography for Cosgrove Hall, and the list goes on for ages, but here's a list of programmes I worked on - some were for several years in a major role, and some were just for a few weeks, and some were just paint and trace, but all the same......

The Wind in the Willows,
The Talking Parcel
Dangermouse
Rotten Ralph
Roarey the Racing car
Fifi and the Flowertots
The Pied Piper of Hamelin
Oakie Dokie
Lavendar Castle
Grandma Bricks of Swallow Street
Lines and Shapes
Jamie and his Magic Torch
Fetch the Vet
Engie Benjy
Rupert Bear
Robin and Rosie of Cockleshell Bay
Cinderella
Captain Kremmen
Chorlton and the Wheelies
Far Out Fred
Animal Shelf
Rockie and the Dodos
Creepie Crawlies
Bill and Ben
Andy Pandy
Barry

Postby Barry » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:09 pm

well here's a piece about Cosgrove Hall and its' closing........

http://www.southmanchesterreporter.co.u ... _toon_army
Barry

Postby david_yorkshire » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:33 am

Am so gutted about the closure of Cosgrove Hall. I just read about it on Wikipedia.
With so many channels nowadays I thought that they were still going in some form or other.

I wish that this closure had been reported in the media, maybe having a bbc reporter
standing outside giveing a farewll interview to Cosgrove & Hall's founders.

Their animations made my childhood happy, especially Chorlton and the Wheelies.
Chorlton had a very broad accent - I am sure he came from Doncaster.

Jamie and the Magic Torch was another favourite.
david_yorkshire

Postby Barry » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:25 pm

Yes it is very sad indeed. I was there when the doors finally closed on the studios themselves earlier this year, but I gather a small group have limped on but now I don't believe there's anything left, maybe just one person looking after calls and such. A real shame - a loss to the animation industry and a loss to manchester.
I do remember when I first arrived having to do some paint and trace on Jamie. I liked Mr Wellibob, the character whose life was always the opposite.
Fortunately most of Cosgrove Hall's output is on DVD. Some of the early stuff is showing it's age technically but crikey they were spirited films. Some of them simply would not get made today as they are so out there! What would focus groups make fo Chorlton and the Wheelies!
Barry

Postby david_yorkshire » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:47 pm

Hello Barry,

It is a shame that it was not reported in the media more.
The BBC reported the closing of the company tha supplied the bricks for the Empire State Building in New York but not Cosgrove Hall.
According to Wikipedia Cosgrove Hall closed altogether in September. Don't know how much that is true.
It is a real shame as in recent years so many iconic animators/animation companies have disappeared
or passed away such as Oliver Postgate, Chuck Jones, Tony Hart, Cosgrove Hall, BBC's animation unit in Bristol etc

I read Oliver Postgate's autobiography which had a free DVD with it and it was quite an unusual feeling to hear the man who created
Bagpuss talking all about Russia and the cold war.

The only children''s programme that made any memorable impact in recent years was Teletubbies and goodness knows how that was dreamt up.
I think people talk fondly of kids programmes of yesteryear like Jamie and the Magic Torch, Camberwick Green as that was the golden age of television for kids
and was full of imagination. Despite all the advances in CGI Wallace and Gromit have done really well which just shows that modern methods of animation ie CGI arenot always the best.
david_yorkshire

Return to Discussion