Annecy 09

The area for animated discussion

Annecy 09

Postby Barry » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:43 pm

Ah well, it's the first day of Annecy today, and it's wet. Last year I think we only had one really wet day. It looks to be a good festival with some great guests. I'd particularly like to catch up with Adam Elliot. I'd love to have been there, but last year was hard to top. However I have been making an appearance though, in a documentary. I'm a little nervous of this as itwas filmed well over four years ago, and things have certainly changed in four years. I think I'd just come back from Kong and wasn't working, and Rupert Bear hadn't come along yet. But crikey so much can change in this time. I would have liked to have been able to update it. I think i'm more eloquent and understand things now - the two books have seen to that, but I guess I'm in the same situation as I was four years ago but worse. I am more technology open now though.
Anyway, I can't believe it has been a year since the last Annecy. So many promises, and I do mean many, were made. Only one has loosely been followed up and we are waiting to see what happens. But a lesson to anyone - a year in this business is nothing. Things take ages to happen. And so many things fall by the wayside.
But I'dlove to have one of those crepes again.
Barry

Re: Annecy 09

Postby Kerry » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:42 pm

I am back from Annecy, thankfully the weather improved and I have bright red nose from my two hour boat cruise in beautiful sunshine!

Have to say I had a fabulous time this year and saw some amazing films and some 'what is this' films. It's a brave thing to have a film screened at Annecy as the audience wear their hearts on their sleeves. Heard of a film being booed off. That particular film even I had to get up and leave. It actually did give me a headache. Some very, very funny short films. Otters doing Swan Lake and one called Chainsaw Maid which I believe is on YouTube.

However, the best moment for me was the 90 minutes of scripted genius, characters that filled the screen which such emotion and life that it was hard to breath. This would be Adam Elliot's Mary and Max. At the beginning of the screening on the final day of serious screenings in the Boulien Adam took to the stage to do a bow. Folk were on their feet, wolf whistles, exciting clapping and the stamping of the feet. I think Adam has arrived.

I knew I was in for a treat as a friend had managed to get a ticket for Monday's Mary and Max and claims it's the best film he has ever seen, and this is in relation to animation and live action folks! I also knew that Adam wouldn't let any of us down. Those who have been fans of Adams films for several years will know what I mean. And nope, not let down.

Adam designed the whole film, the characters, the sets and script. It is an outstanding film. OUTSTANDING. It rightly has shared first place with Coraline at this year's Annecy, and I'm certain they have both won for very different reasons. However, Mary and Max delivers a punch with a small crew and Mel Coomb, who is lovely as Adam's producer. I can't talk up this film enough. Fingers crossed for strong UK distribution. Go see it. NOW!

P.S Oh and take a tissue!
P.P.S It's screening at Edinburgh Film Festival next week
P.P.P.S I would write more, but I'm knackered from a week of lack of sleep as I was too excited to sleep. It was like waiting for Santa
P.P.P.P.S Barry - you were great in the documentary
P.P.P.P.P.S You need to see Mary and Max to understand the P.P.P.S...ings! (time for bed)
Kerry

Re: Annecy 09

Postby Barry » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:21 am

Thanks for all that Kerry. I am so thrilled, utterly thrilled for Adam and Melanie, and yes as you say, they have arrived, not that theywere here already after the short films. I can imagine what it must have been like in the theatre last night. I am so pleased that a relatively small film can stand up next to huge juggernauts.Hopefully too this is good for us all.
I doubt it will be next year but hopefully after that I'll be back with a film. It was 2002 that Hamilton Mattress won but i wasn't there to collect it as I wasn't working. I never got to see that award as it happens. I wonder where it is.
But actually I'm buzzing with excitement that Adam won for Mary and Max.
Barry

Return to Discussion