April 14th 2018

Film, theatre, arts, events - review it here

April 14th 2018

Postby Barry » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:39 pm

A quick canter through the shows I have seen......Kneehigh's Flying Lovers was gorgeous and imaginative, and informative and exhilarating. The tour of Birdsong was a bit too literal and cold, with too much furniture moving, and such quick cuts from one location to another. And Goodnight mister tom was one of the drabbest shows I have seen, in every department sadly. I'm so wary of ideas knicked from youtube. YouTube should get a credit in the programme these days.
Barry

INSIGNIFICANCE

Postby Barry » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:29 pm

The Lauriston Studio, April 20th 2018

I mainly went to see this out of duty, but knew I would have a good time as I love the work of terry Johnson - His Hitchcock Blonde probably being the piece of work that has bought me most satisfaction. The ideas behind this piece are either less focussed or more far ranging, and with all the science, perhaps doesn't have the emotional impact of the Hitchcock play, but it is a great 'what if....?' play, and through out ideas both large and small. A tight production at the Garrick that could have done with a bit more pace, and most certainly could have done with losing the annoying and constant flashing neon light over the set. Heck, I'm frustrated at not beign creative at the moment, and I hope I am not getting too criticial with other people's work.
Barry

Return to Reviews