A MONTH OF STUFF

Film, theatre, arts, events - review it here

A MONTH OF STUFF

Postby Barry » Mon May 14, 2018 8:43 am

May 14th 2018

A busy month of stuff, and inspite of now being out of work, I have still managed to catch up with a few shows.
INSIGNIFICANCE
I'd not seen this before but am a huge fan of Terry Johnson, having directed his Hitchcock Blonde, and this production at the lauriston was beautifully done, and threw up all manner of interesting ideas. I love plays that have a clever 'what if....?' at their heart.
JASON DONOVAN
And yes this was a surprising evening, a very intimate venue, with him sort of being interviewed on stage. Totally spontaneous, totally honest, and totally captivating. He came across a very warm gent, and yes, his voice has gone but his looks certainly have not.
STAGS AND HENS
A sleight piece but would a good and perhaps a little contrived conceit - the ladies and gents toilets on a rowdy stag do in Liverpool. A great set and lively performances, but sadly it didn't play to very good houses.
TIGER LILLIES
I'm a huge fan of the Tiger Lillies since Shockheaded Peter and Circus Songs, and Martyn Jacques voice has haunted me for two decades. This was a gloriously theatrical piece about the Day of the dead, but I think I got a little lost with the plot, but I was just happy to watch this extraordinary trio.
NOTHING LIKE A DAME
What's not to like about Dames Judi, Maggie, Joan, and Eileen sat in a beautiful garden being honest, bitchy, sarcastic, observant and just very very warm. A beautiful 90 minutes about so much.
THE DAD'S ARMY RADIO HOUR
Just two gents, one a much loved Twirly alumni, rreading three radio scripts, but with uncanny accuracy. They had the voices spot on, and again it was a joy to watch them switch from character to character in the same breath. Joy.
TITANIC
Again a much loved and seen show, but I had not seen this stripped back version but I loved it. Very inventive, and yes there was no ship or sinking as such, but glorious lighting gave us all we needed, along with that great score and some superb performances. Thank you, chum, Simon.

Next, Dambusters and American in Paris in the cinema. Not bad.
Barry

Return to Reviews