Hitchcock

Film, theatre, arts, events - review it here

Hitchcock

Postby Barry » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:00 pm

Hitchcock
In my new location all I have got to watch at the moment is an almost complete set of Hitchcock DVD's. Tonight's film was Rope - or, in french, 'cocktail for a cadaver!' I really want to love this film, but don't as it sort of falls flat. So much is made of the single take business, then on three occasions he just cuts, and whilst it is there a bit, the characters have lost a lot of their sexuality. And then there is all that cotton wool, I mean the clouds. And Stewart just doesn't seem right and really overdoes the long lingering looks. But Farley Granger, oh what a smart gent he was.

Last night's Hitchcock revisited was North by Northwest - a beautiful looking film, with foxy/blatant Eva Marie. I still love the boy putting his fingers in his ears before the unexpected gunshot, and the policeman who forgets to lean in a rear projection car shot, having to be nudged by Mr Grant. And is that really Nathan Lane as a young bellboy, and Martin Landau doing gay. Rapture unalloyed.
Barry

Re: Hitchcock

Postby kli » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:26 pm

Shadow of a Doubt. If I'm going to repeat view, I usually reach first for Shadow of a Doubt. Mainly because I haven't seen it as often as the others, and also because I have a hopeless passion for anything penned by Thornton Wilder. I love the mirroring of Joseph Cotton and Teresa Wright as the Charlies. And that lighting that takes you from bright sunny California-of-Andy-Hardy flicks to noir shadowy serial killer depths in the blink of an eye. Glorious stuff. If you haven't dug it out of the set yet, I'd urge you to do so. That one and The Lodger. It's amazing how fully formed Hitchcock was even at the beginning of his career (that glass ceiling shot!--and it's Ivor Novello!).
kli

Return to Reviews