L'Illuisoniste

Film, theatre, arts, events - review it here

L'Illuisoniste

Postby Barry » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:04 pm

Chateau Renault, June 26th, Le Balzac Cinema

Well this is a film by Silvain Chomet based on an unrealsied script by Jaques Tati, set in France, England and Scotlan, with typical non descript language and dialogue, about the death of variety, and loneliness, and all manner of things - Justin and I watched practically alone in a cinema on the edge of a square in Chateau Renault that could have been part of a Tati film, as it was so full of intersting people and incidents. A very melancholic film in a melecholic venue, with odd British/French parallels going on. First thing - the film is stunningly beautiful, with every frame looking like a multiplace water colour, and staged with real theatricality. I can't be certain whether Tati avoided close-ups but here there is not a single close-up in the whole film; rather more relying on set pieces interspersed with some realy money shots of Edinburgh. As with Tati, some of the gags don't work until the have been repeates several times through out the film, eat time a little different and with a new resonant - watch the touching journey of the ventriloquist here. some really inspired Tati moments - the love hate relationship with the rabbit, the confusion of a bare tree suddenly covered in snow, the magician performing with a bra in the shop window, the magician doing tricks with a wine glass much to the excitement of a scottish drunk.....lovely stuff, that I rather feel tati might have developed better. But the film is gorgeous, and rather moving with a lot of layers going on, but it does feel rather fragmented and without a central thrust, but oh thank you for making such a film. And maybe the point is that he was a pretty lousy magician - the tricks were basic to say the least. Have you noticed how magic is so hard to make work on film, basically because we immediately suspect some technical trickery happening between edits. Unless we see it with our own eyes, it doesn't work, and it doesn't really work in animation where anything can happen. There are ways to make it work, and I'm thinking aobut this for a film next year. Ponder the nature of magic in cinema......
Barry

Re: L'Illuisoniste and other films.

Postby Barry » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:47 pm

well I'm simply not having the time for any trips to the cinema, but late night dVD's have included The Hangover (again, and oh yes again), The Music Lovers (oh what did they do to poor glenda Jackson), I Love You Philip MOrris, Enduring Love (definitely an all time favourite), and shortbus (also a huge throbbing favourite).
Barry

Return to Reviews