earth vs the flying saucers and freud.

Film, theatre, arts, events - review it here

earth vs the flying saucers and freud.

Postby Barry » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:41 pm

http://vimeo.com/21704812 - have a look at this remarkable film and let me know what you think.

I was suffering post film blues yesterday in a big way, and as strawberries and ice cream provided suitable comfort food so did a bleary eyed viewing of the colourised version of Ray Harryhausen's Earth vs the Flying Saucers, and loved it. They certainly don't make them like that any more. Chisel jawed man in skin tight white shirt and immaculate hair, holding onto a beautiful woman with amazing hair, and tight blouse grasping onto each other, looking off screen at unseen special effects. Interesting to see how directly the design of the saucers was reflected in Mars attacks! Interesting too that because the surface of the saucers is so smooth, and Ray clearly wanted some spinning to make an interesting form of locomotion, and had to put in some detail in the spinning bits for the movement to register. A great example of finding tricks to make a movement read. And actually the colourisation was seemless, and I did not miss the black and white.
Barry

Return to Reviews