RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

Film, theatre, arts, events - review it here

RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

Postby Barry » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:04 pm

August 27th 2011

i'm grinning with unalloyed pleasure after this movie, and haven't fell so filmically satisfied for ages. An intelligent, exciting and complex film, that beautifully tied in with the original, and full of discreet references and pointers. How it tied in with the 2001 film I have no idea as I have sort of wiped that one from my memory. I just want to rush back into the cinema and see this again. The director and Andy Serkis got such empathy with Ceasar and plotted his journey beautifully. I rather publicly expressed disappointment that these apes were not human performers, but I'm convinced now, very convinced. The thought process was very much in evidence. Very rich and moving performances, and I can't even begin to think of the complex technical process of filming it. Lots of great fulfilling moments, and the orangutan (called Maurice as I remember in reference to the actor who played the orangutan in the original) was a fantastic subtle creation. My audience all rushed out at the first sign of a credit, their last image being Ceasar standing in a tree lookign at the burning Golden gate Bridge. Fine, but a rather passive ending for a film called 'The Rise of the Planet of the Apes'. I sat alone in the cinema and watched the brief clever peripatetic coda that suggested the downfall of Man. Darn I'm grinning after this movie. Two hours very well spent.
Barry

Return to Reviews