Kubo and Charley's Aunt

Film, theatre, arts, events - review it here

Kubo and Charley's Aunt

Postby Barry » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:08 am

September 11th 2016

Have I really not seen anything since July? Well I guess Romeo and Juliet have taken up my available time. But what a contrasting two nights. From the extreme highs of Kubo and the two strings to, well Charley's Aunt. Charley tries so hard to have the ease of The Important of being Earnest and the topsy-turveydom of Gilbert and Sullivan and fails miserably. It is well constructed but no more, and it takes forever, criminally forever, to get to the man in a frock. There is not the relish of the words that Wilde and Gilbert have. it is a farce but a farce that is seriously diluted by being in three acts. Nothing should be in three acts. So this was our Garrick production, and purely, I suspect, for reason of providing some rather gorgeous costumes, set in the 20's - yep the theatrical giddiness associated with the 20s worked in it's favour, but the idea of the girls needing a chaperone now was a bit suspect. As the curtain went up on the set I thought we might be watching a clever meta take on an amateur production of Charley's Aunt, but no there was not the irony. It was played with great gusto and enthusiasm but no real take on the piece. It's hard to be critical as we are just about to open a Romeo and Juliet that will lay itself open to criticism. It may be many things, but it won't be dull.

Kubo - well where to begin. With every frame I wished I had been involved. Of the big Laika films, this was the one I warmed to. It had a lyricism and beaut the other films did not. I'm not entirely sure what happened but it was beautiful. The animation performances we so detailed and felt. I confess that I am still not a lover of the 3D printed faces , though there was not as much gurning in this film as in the others. I do not like gurning. But my lack of warmth for these faces is me as an animator beign aware that certain choices would have been made before the shot starts about the performance, rather than allowing the spontaneity that is a precious element of stop motion. Nor do I like 3D, as the image still becomes dull and muddy. but oh the detail and camera work and the scale of this movie! It really does make me feel an amateur, and makes me question whether I could do such work given their resources. I'm not sure. A tremendous achievement.

Return to Reviews