The Tempest

Film, theatre, arts, events - review it here

The Tempest

Postby Barry » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:07 pm

World premiere performance, Birmingham Royal Ballet 1st October

I am a huge fan of Birmingham royal Ballet, and especially the works of David Bintley - truly my favourite choreographer - such beautiful staging and full of poignant enigmatic images, and the tempest seemed inevitable. But for such a work full of magic this was curiously flat. I loved every second of it, but it did seem rather literal, following the play exactly rather than being liberated by dance. There was Aril diving down into the deep sea to cause the shipwreck amid acres of billowing fabric, well there was everything as expected, and especially an extremely long wedding celebration for Miranda and Ferdinand attended by Posiedon, Greek Goddesses, Pan and a lot of convenient shepherds and shepherdesses, and there was Ariel flying around, and there was Caliban rolling on the ground, and it was all designed beautifully, but there was no joy or magic or any real emotion - save at the end when the wrecked ship appeared and Prospero gave his crown to Caliban. That delivered - everything delivered really but it didn't have the power or the theatricality of much of Bintley's other work. I'm not sure what I thought of the dancing coral, or were they shrimp - sea things, anyway. and the music was a bit angular though it was full of interesting noises. Just all rather good and safe rather than elating.

Return to Reviews