Madama Butterfly

Film, theatre, arts, events - review it here

Madama Butterfly

Postby Barry » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:01 pm

The Lowry, Opera North, March 8th 2018

I have lost count how many times that I have seen Butterfly. It wasn't my first - La Boheme has that honour, but it can't have been far behind, and is a perfect opera for a first time, as it is musically astonishing, and works as drama. and yes I know that the opera is derided in lofty critical circles for being exploitative of cultural agonies, and the musical described as easy, but bloody hell, it works. It is so tight, and the drama is beautifully structured. This production was not pretty, nor should it be, but worked so well as storytelling. Cio Cio San's reduced circumstance painfully illustrated, as was her misguided Americanisation. But what is going on in the mind of a four year old boy actor, with all that music, foreign language and then the suicide of your own stage mum? How does he adjust to all that. The vigil music here with Butterfly barely moving was simply heartbreaking. Yep, I never tire of this emotional opera. A true masterpiece. Thank you Opera North.
I had set off to see the Globe's Little matchgirl but Friday traffic derailed that, and you know how I hate to miss a show. I was fuming.

Return to Reviews