The Adventures of Mr Broucek

Film, theatre, arts, events - review it here

The Adventures of Mr Broucek

Postby Barry » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:00 pm

Opera North, the lowry 12th November 2009

I've been awareof this opera since ENO did it twenty years back, but have never seen it. I am something of a Janacek groupie, most especially Sinfionietta and the glorious Cunning Little Vixen which excites me no end, and I do wish that one day I will direct that. I know it has been made as a cartoon, but I'm sorry, it was terrible.
This production is most definitely a production of two halves, in every way. The first half of his dotty adventures to the moon almost strayed in Tati territory, but the second half was altogether bleaker and unsettling, but I do love the way that Janacek stabs, then surges and dances, and he has colours in his orchestra that no-one else has. The Vixen suites are some of the most uplifting music I know. I was very glad to have seen this production, and the use of the projections and animation impressed me, though of course I wish I had done them. Mostly crystal sharp and visible and richly coloured.....not something I could have said about the way ours was projected for the panto last year. Very well used, and there were some truly poetic and striking moments. It didn't grab me like Vixen, but still a great evening. And when things get a bit dour, bring on a large lady eating a sausage. Always good for a laugh!
Barry

Return to Reviews