UP

Film, theatre, arts, events - review it here

UP

Postby Barry » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:33 am

UP - monday 23rd November 2009

I'm so up to date with these things, but I have finally caught up with this magnificent movie. I've had a bit of a reluctance of seeing features recently, but this just lifted the spirits, not just for the story but for the sheer craftsmanship of the techique and storytelling. That I was ahead of it in most of the story didn't matter, as everything just seemed as it should be, and with such perfect symmetry in the plotting. I'm sure no-one was surprised to see the house on the cliff at the end, but it was so right. It is so full of resonances and metaphors about carrying grief and letting go, and hurrah for a central intelligent relation ship that didn't rely on the usual format of slow big lump, and short manic wisecracking one. The animation is flawless, and so full of details and gorgeous movement. And yes it is an action story but happily rather undersated, allowing for moments of real introspection and calm, with a musical score not shoving the emotion down your throat but letting it breathe. All the characters are so vivd and each have their particular way of moving. Kevin the bird is genius as is Dug, well it all is. A sheer joy, even for me as a grumpy old man living alone, whose house is forever being overshadowed by ever nearer building work. Now what should I do about that. If yu see a turret floating across the sky, it will be me and a stray cat.
A great great joyous movie.
Barry

Re: UP

Postby kli » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:33 pm

I loved Up. Crying buckets one minute, laughing my ass off the next. Just really grand filmmaking. As you said--so many things just done right. The DVD is also a blast, and it looks like with "Dug's Special Mission" that their R&G Are Dead-style shorts of a side story within the continuity of the movie ("Jack-Jack Attack", and "Burn-E") are now a regular thing (no need to build additional models/sets!). I'm sooo happy that they've instituted a short film program at Disney, like the one they have at Pixar. "Prep & Landing" looks like great fun.
kli

Postby Kerry » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:35 pm

I too enjoyed UP - as soon as it started I was awestruck. Colours, cinematography, characters and acting. However, the story dipped a bit for me, and I found myself drifting off. Still loved it though, but I think I'm going to enjoy the extras on the DVD than watching the film again. Saying that I may have just been tired (saw it at BAF after a couple of days of Jury duty). Will give it another go. Still for me though features this year, in order 1st, Mary and Max, Fantastic Mr Fox, Coraline. :)
Kerry

Postby Barry » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:48 am

Hi Kerry, and i saw the Annine nominations were announced yesterday. Mary and max were conspicuous by their absence - were they not eligible?
Barry

Postby Kerry » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:53 am

Hi Baz,

I was bemused as you were as to why M&M was not on the lists - I went through all the lists, it should be up for script, production design, best film ect, but nothing? Don't know hon, but it's a shame.

Still have huge hopes for the Academy award. I posted something on twitter to a guy whose in LA and was discussing the contenders for the OSCAR. I asking why M&M wasn't being discussed as a contender (usual films, Coraline, Fox, Princess and the Pea etc). His response was 'because it's not good'. Confused. :cry:
Kerry

Return to Reviews