Enid - Gracie - Margot

Film, theatre, arts, events - review it here

Enid - Gracie - Margot

Postby Barry » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:49 pm

November 29th 2009

Well two down, and just Margot to come tomorrow. These are three BBC4 dramas linked round the theme of women we have loved. This could be both the audience and their men, and they are little gems. Little being an accurate word as the budget was clearly tiny. Hardly an extra or even minor characters to be seen. Other than one library shot of an audience, Gracie's audience was never seen, and the 'Palladium' was an apology of a stage indeed, but it wasn't about spectacle but about the central relationship, and the conflict between public and private faces. Helena Bonham Carter was sensational as the very complex Enid Blyton, and looks stunning in every scene, but oh she did appear to be a troubled monster. But HBC's performance was so pure and credible and naked. Jane Horrocks as gracie was a bit more caricature but I supect that was very true of Gracie's brash Rochdale manner. Tom Hollander as Monty was a sheer joy of underplayed flamboyance. He is such a great actor. A lovely series, with Margot to come tomorrow. We need more in this series.
Barry

Re: Enid - Gracie - Margot

Postby Barry » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:40 pm

well the BBC saved up the cash for a good few extras for Margot tonight, but still relied on the camera at the back of the stage looking out into the darkness to save on any set or crowds. Actually the wings were remarkably free of any activity, and the backstage corridors had the same tutus regardless of which ballet was being performed, but hey, I'm glad to have seen this, to have seen all three dramas. A lot of dialogue telling us what had happened or newsreels or phone cals and all those standard devices but I still enjoyed it. Seeing the three pieces in quick succession, they all had the theme of the constant frustration between private life and public life, and being used or not understand by partners outside the business, or feeling that the artifice was the reality as it was more controllable or safe, or putting the career first. Oh crikey I sound as if I know what I'm talking about there. It was odd watching the programme tonight as, though I had never seen Dame Margot, I had seen Nureyev, and worked with Lindsay Duncan, Jacobi, and Christ Gable, and yes did have a strange encounter with Nureyev himself in an italian restaraunt in Manchester, but that is indeed another story.
A good series, with some lovely details and performances.
Barry

Return to Reviews