Colour Your Life - my first animation

An area where you can display your work (it has to be on the web somewhere). Just start a new topic, say something about your work and include a link to it.

Colour Your Life - my first animation

Postby Michelle_Andrew » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:31 am

Dear Barry,

I've so far found your blog fascinating to read and I've enjoyed looking at all the other animations in the Gallery and reading your critiques, so here is mine! It was inspired by the Betty Smithers Design Collection and its all my own work other than the sofa / armchair and lamp (by a Mr. Kev Clarke) and the tapestry (by Mrs. Sarah Barker). I hope you enjoy it. You'll see some other test animations on my vimeo page too. You may actually know who Danny Kaye is unlike most of my fellow students!

https://vimeo.com/114262631

I'm currently studying stop motion animation at the University of Staffordshire (which I believe you are quite familiar). I'm a mature student (I use the term loosely) and I've just finished my first year. I have just applied to do a Masters by Negotiated Study so will be skipping a couple of years if they accept me. Quite a big step as I also work part time and I'm a single mum.

So here is my first animation. It was our Main Project for our first semester. We only had a few weeks to complete it (including set building, character design, storyboard, sound and editing) so I am aware of the shaky animation and unpolished look. This is mainly because I was animating at 3am and there were no retakes! hopefully next time I can aim for something a little more professional and a few more takes to get it just right. I would love to know your thoughts though, please feel free to be critical!

We (myself and Mr. Clarke) are coming to the Bristol puppet festival tomorrow so will be in the audience tomorrow night and be with you for the directing workshop on Sunday (so there's no getting rid of me I'm afraid!).

best wishes and look forward to meeting you,

michelle
Michelle_Andrew

Re: Colour Your Life - my first animation

Postby Barry » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:47 pm

Hi there Michelle, and great to meet you at the festival and to chat. I wish I had seen your film before the festival as we could have talked about it. Well, I think you have larnt a lot from this, about making sure the lighting is constant, making the sets are secure and so on. In terms of the story, it seemed a bit convenient that the parcel dropped through the door......I think perhaps that you could have held back letting us see the small photo until the very end. You could have let the audience wonder why she was so excited to have that dress, and then we know why. And yes I do know Danny Kay, and actually my film about Gilbert and Sullivan was called the very Models.
See if you can chat to your tutors and get me down for a day. I'd love that.
see you soon
Barry

Postby Michelle_Andrew » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:03 pm

Hello Barry,
it was lovely to meet you, I hope you enjoyed the Puppet Festival as much as we did! We really enjoyed hearing all the details of Tchaikovsky, I'm in love with that puppet too.

Thank you for watching my little film. Yes I have a tendency to proportion the time very much towards set and puppet making and less towards the actual animating. There were no retakes for this and it was done over a matter of hours. Next time I need better lighting, a very secure stage (as you said in your talk, braced against the wall would be a very good idea) and to allocate more time to it. We only had a few weeks to do the whole thing from conception to editing so it was a very tight timescale. I'm pleased with what I produced as a first attempt but I can see a lot I would do differently.

I just yesterday got accepted for the Masters by Negotiated Study at Staffordshire Uni. I'll be doing it part time over two years and concentrating on miniature sets and props, authentic costume making and 3d printing v handmade for puppet making. I want to produce a short animation which will look a lot more professional.

I'm sure the students at Staffs would love you to visit again, I'll definitely ask Stuart. How long ago was it that you last came up to the Uni? they're renovating the whole place, its in chaos at the minute!

best wishes
Michelle
Michelle_Andrew

Postby Barry » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:47 am

Hi MIchelle, and that's good news. I've been to a few functions at the Uni but haven't taught for three or four years.....I'd be happy to head on down again.
Barry

Return to Gallery