T is for Top Hat

An area where you can display your work (it has to be on the web somewhere). Just start a new topic, say something about your work and include a link to it.

T is for Top Hat

Postby Sarah » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Hi Barry,

We hope you are well!
Just wanted to link you to our most recent film, made for a competition called The ABCs of Death.
We would love, as always, to hear your opinion :)

http://26th.theabcsofdeath.com/t-is-for-top-hat/

Sarah and Sarah
Sarah

Re: T is for Top Hat

Postby Barry » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:56 pm

Hallo Sarahs, and what a splendid idea for a feature film. i wish I had seen it whilst I had the set and lighting all set up for the tchaikovsky film as I could certainly have done something.
Well done for making your film. I think I might have been tempted to leave it as one shot, as you are animating in 3's or 4's or perhaps more, I'm not sure, and it is hard to read some of the close ups when the animation somewhat breaks up. there's just not enough information in the close-ups to make sense of the movement. And I think doing it all in one shot would have helped the 'magic' element. An audience, when watching magic on film, too easily dismiss any magic as camera trickery or editing, but with one shot, there is at least a feeling of less cheating going on. But that would be great if the film gets selected.
all the best
B
Barry

Postby Sarah » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:30 pm

Helloo Barry,

We agree, that it would've been more magical if it was done in one shot, we'd like to try that some time. There are definitely things we would change, but we had one month to get this complete and we are quite happy with the overall outcome.

We actually shot it on 2s, maybe it was issues with youtube that breaks it up?
heres a vimeo link, it might be smoother: http://vimeo.com/30360229

Thanks again for your comments,

Sarah and Sarah
Sarah

Postby Barry » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi Sarahs, and yes it does look better on vimeo. I'd so love to have an afternoon workshop with you both, just giving you lots of tips and hints, and about finessing things. I wonder how we can arrange that. B
Barry

Return to Gallery