My First Proper Stopmotion

An area where you can display your work (it has to be on the web somewhere). Just start a new topic, say something about your work and include a link to it.

My First Proper Stopmotion

Postby sleepersball » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Hi Mr. Barry Purves,
I know your a busy man, but if it's not too much too ask, i would be delighted to have your feedback on my piece. :) I'm a big big fan your performances through your puppets. I read your book, the one published by Focal Press, it is by far, the Most insightful "go to" book about Stop Frame Animation. I'm from The Philippines, and sadly, Stop Frame Animation here have been associated with cricket sounds. And I do not get that. There are no boot camps here for animation so I learned a lot from your book and by watching your films, And forgive me for being bold, but I like to change the animation status here in the Philippines, just maybe give it a little nudge, and wave hello maybe. So I've been studying on my own, creating crude stuff at first then moving on to more advanced puppet creation and basic animation exercises. So anyway, A friend from mine bought a surf shop on a local beach spot, and I took the opportunity to make my friend a small ad for her store. So here it is, its still rough around the edges editing wise but, a feedback from an animation titan like yourself, it would mean the world to me. You are a beacon of inspiration to us all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag_de3zzWns
sleepersball

Re: My First Proper Stopmotion

Postby Barry » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:58 pm

Hallo and how great to welcome to our site here, and what a lovely piece of film. With you saying it was your first piece, I was expecting the set to be wobbling, and the lights to be flickering and terrible animation, but I was very very pleased. It all looks beautifully controlled and clear, and I love all the waves and the big wave especially. The timing is excellent, which most beginngers find so hard. They usually rush through the action, but you have allowed it to breathe. Please be encouraged to do more, and if there is any way I can help you, I would be happy to do so. thank you for your kind comments. I look forward to more films from you
all the best
Barry
Barry

Postby sleepersball » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:55 pm

Thank You so much for your time Sir! I'm currently doing a small stopmotion ad for a friend of mine for his Bookstore. I'm doing a Georges Méliès type of presentation tackling H.P. Lovecraft. You know it's funny, someone saw the small film that I showed you, and asked me if I'm interested in teaching stopmotion in the near future. I'm flattered but I still have so much to learn. But maybe It's a start, the one who Emailed me have a strong background in 2d animation He is actually the programmer of "Animahenasyon" this year (An Annual Animation Festival here in the Philippines) and is teaching experimental animation focusing on stopmotion, a new curriculum at a local university. They're doing basic stuff. Philippines have a strong 2d animation background, but none of the stopmotion stuff. A studio here is relaunching, they've done claymation ads during the 80s (pretty basic animation compared to the stuff made by you guys.) and I sent them the link for my video and a couple of animation exercises, and they too are interested. You know maybe this is a start of something...... I'm sorry for babbling, don't mind me. Anyway thank you so much!!! The first time I read your reply I was like, holy (expletive not allowed) holy (expletive not allowed) holy (expletive not allowed) this is Barry Purves. Barry Purves watched my video holy (expletive not allowed) holy (expletive not allowed) (expletive not allowed). Hahaha like a dumb ass. I was like high for a couple of hours haha. You don't know this but your work Sir, your Performances, they taught me a lot... Thank you so much for your time.
Last edited by sleepersball on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sleepersball

Postby Barry » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:24 pm

Hi and that's a grat mail, and (expletitive), if the university could get me out there, I'd be happy to come an do some workshops.....
i spent yesterday evening with Ray harryhausen and many great animators. Very exciting.
Barry

Postby sleepersball » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:11 pm

Sorry about the expletives haha,I got a little carried away. I will definitely bring that topic up! I'm meeting with them this weekend, if they're serious about stopmotion they should fund it up and ship someone with a level of genius like you here!
sleepersball

Postby sleepersball » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Hello! So I brought up the topic of the possibility of sending you here to do some workshops and they were delighted when I told them that it was your idea! And they are definitely interested. So maybe we'll see you here in the future! In the near future I hope! My fingers are now officially crossed! Have a good week Sir!
sleepersball

Return to Gallery