The Cave

An area where you can display your work (it has to be on the web somewhere). Just start a new topic, say something about your work and include a link to it.

The Cave

Postby Sarah » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:06 pm

Hello Barry,

We just wanted to show you the finished version of our film, The Cave. http://www.vimeo.com/4959286

We are unfortunately not entirely happy with it although we enjoyed the challenge of animating water and birds which were both new to us.

We would greatly appreciate your comments and criticism.

Thank you,

Sarah and Sarah
Sarah

Re: The Cave

Postby Barry » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:26 pm

Hi there Sarahs, and well done for finishing the film. It's a splendid looking film, with great use of composition and dramatic lighting. I love that the images are veryclean and striking and uncluttered. The red of the bird is vibrant. I love the swaying reeds and dragonfly at the start and the waterfall - yes some splendid visuals. For me the sound is the weakest aspect, and i'm not sure that so much screaming matches a detailed face that clearly has no mouth movement. I faced the same problem on Achilles. I didn't want the main characters to speak as such but needed grunts and groans - but I did have an opening and shutting mouth and that seemed to work. He probably needed to use his eyes a bit more really - you've given yourself a conflict here with a detailed naturalistic face but then don't use it. I perhaps might have used music rather than all those sound effects. Music would have allowed you to get away with not speaking. I like al those dramatic compositions and you let your characters do most of the movement. The camera move in the middle doesn't work, not just because it is jerky but because there are no other camera moves in the film. It suddenly draws attention to itself, and dramatically could easily have been done without a move. You need to set up a convention where there are lots of camera moves or none, and really need to establish that at the start of the film.
But this is a vibrant and rich looking film. You both have a fine eye.
Hope these criticisms are constructive
Barry
Barry

Re: The Cave

Postby Sarah » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:35 pm

Hello Barry,

Thank you very much for your comments, they are extremely useful and we are very grateful.

We found the sound for the hunter quite challenging as we didn't want him to talk but wanted to show that he was in pain. We agree that it doesn't fit with the limited expressions of the puppet and that the use of music would be very helpful.

We are going to work on this film some more and fix up some of these problems so that it will hopefully be in a finished state that we are happy with.

Thank you again for your comments,

Sarah and Sarah
Sarah

Return to Gallery